Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 SV V6 4x4. Drove around my neighborhood for about 5 minutes today. When I parked back in my garage, I noticed water dripping from the seam of the muffler. Started it up again and let it run for a minute, water immediately started dripping. Is this a problem? I've never noticed this much dripping from that spot. Pics-

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you only drove a short way that could be normal, especially if you routinely make a lot of short trips and few long ones. It takes awhile for the back end of the exhaust system to get hot enough to chase out condensate, so continuous short trips can actually create puddles in the low spots inside your exhaust. There's a small bleed hole in most mufflers for that reason, but depending how the exhaust is laid out, water won't always reach it unless there's some exhaust pressure.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,525 Posts
Driving around the block for 5 min is not enough time for the exhaust system to get fully warmed up, so what you're probably seeing is condensation. Once your car has been driven for a long period of time and being that the engine is fully warmed up, if you still see water dripping; then there may be a small breech in the head gasket. Check the coolant level to see if the level drops down over some period of time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a 2017 SV V6 4x4. Drove around my neighborhood for about 5 minutes today. When I parked back in my garage, I noticed water dripping from the seam of the muffler. Started it up again and let it run for a minute, water immediately started dripping. Is this a problem? I've never noticed this much dripping from that spot. Pics-

View attachment 7410

View attachment 7411

View attachment 7412

View attachment 7413
My '13 V6 alway's leave's a puddle of water on the garage floor @ the exhaust tip. It doesn't look like a problem to me,, but you need to keep a watch on the Coolant Reservoir as well as the radiator. Do this when the engine is cold; 1st remove the reservoir cap to release any pressure, and then remove the radiator cap.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts