Nissan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Ian, usually in the mornings it takes my car around the same mileage it takes yours to warm up fully. (of course after a 2-3 minute warm-up.. I usually let the RPMs get down to 1600 or so)

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,237 Posts
wildmane said:
Ian, usually in the mornings it takes my car around the same mileage it takes yours to warm up fully. (of course after a 2-3 minute warm-up.. I usually let the RPMs get down to 1600 or so)
So the SR20's take 5 to 8 mins to warm up from about 40 or 50 F
and the 16GA's take 2 to 3 mins ??

I find the difference amazing.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
IanH said:

the SR20 has an incredibly thick block, i've heard its something like 3 times thicker than a GA16's block. all that metal takes a longer to heat up. I experience the same thing as you in regards to my SE-R and my girlfriends '98 sentra.

as for warming my car up, we've(my uncle*, dad and bro) have always just waited for the idle to drop once before driving. when you warm up a car all you're really looking for is having the oil circulating before putting the car under load. when the idle drops, the oil's all good to do its thang. no need to wait for it to warm up(especially with an sr20 lol)

*my uncle was a GM warranty tech, then a warranty service manager..and so on. he knows cars like scary well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IanH said:

Would the fact that the SR is an aluminium block + head and the GA, is an Iron block with an aluminium head make a difference.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I warm up as little as possible ... about 30-90 seconds. Just long enough to clear my windsheild.

Prolonged warm-ups fuel-fouls your oil and increase wear.

I just take it real easy for the first mile or two. Very light on the throttle.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
i just warm it up cause i dont like to sit and drive in the cold, plus the steering wheel is hard to turn and the car just feels weird (gears shift harder than normal, at least IMO)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts