Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something with the pathfinder....well our 2003, any way.

Even when it is in 2wd, the front axels are still turning....along with the front drive shaft. This puts a lot of parasitic drag on the drivetrain as you are spinning through gear lube and tranny fluid all the time on the front end....unlike a 4wd truck for example, which would disengage the front axles in 2wd.

So, to make a long story short...........do yourself a favor and switch all the gear lube in the front and rear differentials to 75W90 SYNTHETIC. This stays MUCH more fluidic in cold and also cuts friction by a very large margin. Factory fill is 80W90...but 75W90 can very safely be used, and results in more fuel savings.

I also swapped out my transfer case fluid for SYNTHETIC ATF.

I recommend Amsoil if you can get it, otherwise Mobil 1 is a good choice for ATF. Gear lube can be bought from many sources in synthetic.

By the way...buy 100% synthetic, NOT synthetic blends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just switched it over yesterday.

I immediately could feel less resistance when turning the front tires (I had it on a hoist).

I will have to attempt to get a milage reading in the near future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 03 pathy and was wondering what part number warn hubbs fit? And if you remove the center cap on the wheel for the 03 se does that clear the hub?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a pic on the type of wheel it is, I believe the hubs will not clear ANY 17" pathfinder wheel without machining to widen the center bore...the part number is 29091...IF you have Allmode you MUST leave it in 2hi while the hubs are disengaged...
That is out of the question for me as my wife mainly drives the pathy...and she would NOT remember to go out and switch in the hubs before engaging 4wd.....that would burn up the transfer case in a minute!

·
Registered
422 Posts
That is out of the question for me as my wife mainly drives the pathy...and she would NOT remember to go out and switch in the hubs before engaging 4wd.....that would burn up the transfer case in a minute!
I dont know exactly what it would do but the electronics would absolutely hate it...it is the best gas saving tool i have seen though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This system is HORRIBLE for gas milage. It was on our Jeep Cherokee as well...and guess what, it had dismal gas mileage too.

Switching to a 75w90 gear lube that is 100% synthetic....is the best I am going to do to improve the gas milage on this pathy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This system is HORRIBLE for gas milage. It was on our Jeep Cherokee as well...and guess what, it had dismal gas mileage too.

Switching to a 75w90 gear lube that is 100% synthetic....is the best I am going to do to improve the gas milage on this pathy.
what kind of improvement numbers did you see? And what climate do you live in? I live in MD so we get down to single digits once or twice a year, so if that is a suitable weight I would look into that instead of stock weight...

btw: My 99 Mercedes ML320 had the full time 4wd, not awd, but it managed 22-23 on the highway, I never figured out why that was so much more efficient

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kind of improvement numbers did you see? And what climate do you live in? I live in MD so we get down to single digits once or twice a year, so if that is a suitable weight I would look into that instead of stock weight...

btw: My 99 Mercedes ML320 had the full time 4wd, not awd, but it managed 22-23 on the highway, I never figured out why that was so much more efficient
I live in Northern Ontario Canada....right on top of Lake Superior.

It gets down to 40 below here! At those temps....the gear lube is pretty much solid untill it warms due to friction of the gears. Synthetic gear lube will still be a pourable liquid (although thick).

Well, like I say...there is a HUGE amount of rolling resistance on the front tires! HUGE! Way more than our Jeep with full time 4wd.....so that is where Nissan screwed the gas milage.....it is like you are driving a boat....always pushing against that resistance.

·
3,553 Posts
its the 16 inch five lug rims that come with the se,I have the manual transfer case.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/f6/7e/ae7f_1.JPG thats a link to the rim, sure would be nice if the hubs fit threw them

also do you need this part Amazon.com: Warn 29918 Manual Hub Spindle Nut Kit: Automotive as well as the hubs to make this system work?
No, you do not. The hub kit is complete by itself. Those hubs should fit 90-03 Pathfinders IIRC. Wheel fitment is not an issue AFAIK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts