Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone delt in this field yet about shopping around for a short shifter, and if so where did you find this at , and how much green did you spend.

Thanks, Travis 99 Sentra

·
Registered
170 Posts
I picked up a used SMC shifter from one of the guys on the b15 forums. I've heard that this is the best short shifter for a B14, but I haven't done the install yet, but as soon as I get the time I'll be throwing it in. I've heard rumors that SMC is no longer producing their shifter, but I can't confirm this. B&M is supposed to make a really nice piece for about $150 (I think), and I've heard nothing but good things about the feel of that shifter. I think the SMC and B&M shifters are your best bet as far as quality and feel. As long as you stay away from the cheap shifters on ebay, you should be fine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a b&m short shifter I like it. It comes with a shift knob wich I like. Buy the es polyurethane bushing. It says it comes with bushings so I didnt buy the es poly bushing. Im gonna do that soon. I was a little confused they were the bushings to hold the shifter in place. It was like 140 at summit racing

·
Registered
702 Posts
from someone who has one of those shifters (B&M or SMC) is it lower than stock? if so how much lower is it. im looking for like an inch or 2 shorter in height shifter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The SMC piece is about an inch or so shorter in overall length. Like I said though, I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know how tall it sits exactly once installed. I know it does sit shorter than stock though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The B&M is about a inch shorter in heigth. ITs alot shorter in the throw, I had to get used to shifting with it

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
The name short shifter is i guess an oxymoron. It actually isnt that much shorter than a stock shifter. The only reason its called a short shifter, is because it shortens the throw in between gears. To be able to shift quicker and more effortlessly. If you are just looking to shorten the length of the shifter, cut it with a hack saw, and place an afetr market knob on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
no...after market short shifters are shorter in height but with the added bonus of shortened throw so therefor im looking for the best short shifter because i need less height so it will fit around my new shift boot because the stock one is too tall and i want a shorter throw also.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
If your just looking for shorter hight just hack it off and get a knob for it... (as others hae stated).. If you want a short shifter though stick with the B&M... Its great quality.. Stay away from the aerospeed shifter.. Evan thought you svae $100 it stinks. I had it and ended up going B&M.. Save yourself the time and just get a B&M hack it down and throw a New knob on it...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an SMC that I finally installed last weekend after sitting on my shelf collecting dust for 3 years. It is shorter in hight and also in throw. The pivot ball is hight adjustable... so you can have it super super short (too short IMHO) or nearly stock. After trying a friends set to it's shortest setting I decided to back off that setting by about a 1/3rd. I really like the throw length.

If hight is your only concern though, start off with a new shift knob. The stock shift knob is really high... and there's only a small chance that you'll be able to remove it without screwing it up. So don't count on reusing it.

I use the Nismo GT knob and love it... it threads on to the shifter unlike some of the universal ones that have set screws. It also mounts really low on the shifter. It looks like it should of been OEM... nice, but not flashy. It also doesn't heat up... it looks like metal, but is actually covered with a thin layer of rubber so it won't burn you in the summer or freeze you in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts