Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i installed the fuel pump today ( walbro 255HP ) in my b13 and before i turned on the ignition and blew myself up, i needed to ask a couple of questions. obviously the fuel pump goes inside the tank ( being thats where the stock one was ) am i correct.

the next thing i had to cut two wires and attach a harness that came with the pump. will dat send a spark and blow it up? the wires are covered in plastic wire crimps or whatever its called thats it.

the pump it came with a rubber foam to wrap around the actual pump. will the fuel eat up the rubber or break it down? i left it in the tank for a minute to look for any signsof damage .no signs of damage.

can any1 help me out im sure a lot of you guys on the forum have installed this pump. thanks guy

·
Block Rockin Beats
117 Posts
Service manuals. They do wonders.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
There is a thread on this, i will see if i can find.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Cant see any foam.....

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cant see any foam.....
thanks a lot very helpful stuff...the only thing is that my fuel pump holder ( the orange thing) looks different because i have b13 , i found out about the foam and its ok to be submerged it wont break down. the only thing im worried about is the wires. the orange plug thats in the fuel pump in the picture. i had to cut the wires and join it with the pigtail that the puump came with...now can those cut wires be under the gasoline like that?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have been thinking about going to a walbro myself let me know how you make out for sure. Out of curiosity what is the pumping capacity differance between the stocker and the walbro?

·
Registered
92 Posts
wires will be fine i also have a 255 pump i got from a friend from a 240sx and i cut the wires and mine seems to be workin great !

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
my friend put silicone on the wires and on all the plugs. and said everything should be fine. so i turned on the car and i didnt blow up! at cold start the car threw out a little black smoke, but once it was warm nothing came out. the first thing i noticed once i took off was better throttle response. on the highway the car was flying and the engine smelled more being its running richer. thanks for all your help guys

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
my friend put silicone on the wires and on all the plugs. and said everything should be fine. so i turned on the car and i didnt blow up! at cold start the car threw out a little black smoke, but once it was warm nothing came out. the first thing i noticed once i took off was better throttle response. on the highway the car was flying and the engine smelled more being its running richer. thanks for all your help guys
You should typically not have to cut wires on a walboro install. Mine was plug and play! Also was the silicone safe for use in gasoline?

The car should not be faster if it is running richer. A richer fuel mixture produces less power than a lean or stoich fuel mixture.

Can I ask why did you install the Walboro and which one did you install?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea the richer running statment is a bit confusing? If you change your fuel pump to somthing bigger that provides more flow and more volume the only results should be that you will have more fuel available if and when you decide to turn up the power......

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Yea the richer running statment is a bit confusing? If you change your fuel pump to somthing bigger that provides more flow and more volume the only results should be that you will have more fuel available if and when you decide to turn up the power......
Pretty much, and the walboro is limited by the injectors and fuel pressure. If you have the low pressure version then it is running OEM fuel pressure so the car should run no different than it did before, if you have the high pressure version then you need to monitor the fuel pressure as on a stock FPR the walboro pump will run STUPID rich eventually fouling plugs and causing the car to fall on it's face.

IIRC you are working on a boosted setup or your car is already boosted, so the Walboro is a good upgrade. The only thing is that it is not really needed until you are making more than 220ish WHP.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Wes what pump do you recamend for the stock engine? Mine has a bad check valve and it's hard starting in the A.m. I was thinking about that same pump and I figured it wouldn't cause any problems? Are you saying it will on a staock engine?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Wes what pump do you recamend for the stock engine? Mine has a bad check valve and it's hard starting in the A.m. I was thinking about that same pump and I figured it wouldn't cause any problems? Are you saying it will on a staock engine?
I am not saying it will. There are two versions of the 255 LPH Walboro fuel pump;a low pressure and a high pressure version. THe high pressure version needs an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to return the pressure to the stock 3 bar fuel pressure. The low pressure version will work just fine. Granted I highly recommend an OEM REPLACEMENT for ANY GA16 or SR20 car (stock or modified) that makes less than 220 horsepower to the front wheels.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What one do you recommend Wes? the reason I ask is I am not going to try and make any power but I may end up opening the intake and exhaust for better mpg's. I have to replace my pump because the check valve appears to be shot causing hard A.m starts. I have been through everything else and this I believe is the problem. I want to end up with the best pump for my money. I kicked around putting a check valve in but I think the pump is original to the car and the chassis has over 200k on it....

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
What one do you recommend Wes? the reason I ask is I am not going to try and make any power but I may end up opening the intake and exhaust for better mpg's. I have to replace my pump because the check valve appears to be shot causing hard A.m starts. I have been through everything else and this I believe is the problem. I want to end up with the best pump for my money. I kicked around putting a check valve in but I think the pump is original to the car and the chassis has over 200k on it....
I thought my previous post recommended an OEM replacement? Regardless buy an OEM replacement and don't look back!

·
B13 GA16DET
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i installed the fuel pump (255hp) in my b13. i did have better throttle response, my timing is advanced ever since i advanced my timing my engine backfired ( meaning im rich correct? ) the reason i changed the fuel pump is because after 15 the stock one was done. i had to open the trunk and have some1 stomp on the spare tire while i cranked the car to start it. also i will turbo the car REAL soon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts