Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive got the new ga in the car, I did it in a weekend, I havent been on the list b/c of my damn password problems, so Ive been playing with something for like a week that I have no idea what to do with- THE VARIABLE TIMING CONTROL SOLENOID-- WHY IS IT ONLY ON THE INTAKE CAM? WHEN DOES IT ENGAGE? DOES IT ADVANCE OR RETARD? The motor I blew that Im building all crazy? Yeah I had the whole head apart last night and I was checking it out, oil passages fill a seam on the end of the cam, so how is that whole deal working- I heard that it doesnt work/work to our advantage- but its activated by 12 volt on an alternating current so cant I just hook it up to my apex rsm and set it to turn on at like 5000, or is it just not worth it? Someone who knows let me know, thatd be sweet if it was worth something, I remember reading it isnt though- SOMEONE LET ME KNOW! PLEASE? Thanks in advance---later:)

Glad to be back on the list----damn passwords!

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
vtc is triggered at about 1500rpm's and cuts off at about 6500, then it retards the cam timing, this is what helps our cars when taking off, but in the cost of higher end capabilities, there' s a thread here somewhere which elaborated the pros and cons of vtc and other similar systems............

·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhhh. o.k, b/c I remember reading somewhere that it is triggered at 6500 rpms. There is no need to play around with it then if it is already on after 1500. Thanks for answering my thread man, Im really glad someone finally knew. Ive been waiting and waiting and waiting...........

·
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, what if I had a way to trigger it to stay on all the way to redline? when it drops off after 6500 rpm's you can kinda feel it. I was thinking if I hooked it up to my rsm, I could control what rpm it would turn on at, then it would stay on till redline and it wouldnt retard the cam after 6500. I wonder why they did it to the intake cam only and not the exhaust? How far does it advance the cam anyways? Do you know whats gonna happen If I disconnect the solenoid and hook it up manually to my rsm, I wonder if itll just trip the check engine light. Maybe I should ignore all the silly ass things going through my head and just leave it alone- like what I shouldve done with the motor I blew up-lol.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Besides

The stock cams make sheit for power that high in the power band. The JWT ecu does alter the VTC points, that coupled with the JWT GA cams makes for some pretty decent top ebd.

My recommendation is that you leave the VTC selonoid alone.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
Re: Besides

wes said:
The stock cams make sheit for power that high in the power band. The JWT ecu does alter the VTC points, that coupled with the JWT GA cams makes for some pretty decent top ebd.

My recommendation is that you leave the VTC selonoid alone.
i agree as well. your messing with cam timing and igniton timing as well. the computer contols it along with the timing, mess with it and i doubt you would benefit, but rather suffer in the end.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just wondering has anyone ever unpluged the soleniod and drove around with it unpluged. I wonder if you loose alot of low end and how the engine does on its own up top. Just curious if anyone has done this.

CORY

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did put in a Jap-spec ga16de in my sentra, here in South-Africa the ga16de's didn't come out with this "vtc" and now this new motor have this "vtc" where exacly is the vtc solenoid (is it at the back of the motor pasinger side , above the termostat at the timing chain side and ±3" long), and where could I get a pickup for the 12 volt alternating current and how do I conect it ant to where?
Hope you ppl can help because this ga16de feels a bit on the dead side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts