Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's my first thread here...Please be kind to me! :)

Recently, I heard a discussion about the VQ engine (particularly the VQ35) and I would like to have some info on this. I searched the net for links about its history, about its attributes, about its praises, but searching for something called "VQ engine", sends you about a gozillion links, with nothing matching to your preferences!

So I have to ask the masters some questions about this motor:

a) Why does this motor get the prizes? 3.5 liters with an output of 280HP isn't something non-heard before...
b) How tunable is it? How much HP is the usual tune-up?
c) Why doesn't Nissan fit the RB26 to the Z and all the models it is into?
d) How many are the models that use this motor?

In short, what is the thing that makes it so "special"? Note that in my country, 1.8 lt. are considered "too much", so we are somewhat ignorant about large displacement... :loser:

·
Registered
34 Posts
nske said:
Well, it's my first thread here...Please be kind to me! :)

Recently, I heard a discussion about the VQ engine (particularly the VQ35) and I would like to have some info on this. I searched the net for links about its history, about its attributes, about its praises, but searching for something called "VQ engine", sends you about a gozillion links, with nothing matching to your preferences!

So I have to ask the masters some questions about this motor:

a) Why does this motor get the prizes? 3.5 liters with an output of 280HP isn't something non-heard before...
b) How tunable is it? How much HP is the usual tune-up?
c) Why doesn't Nissan fit the RB26 to the Z and all the models it is into?
d) How many are the models that use this motor?

In short, what is the thing that makes it so "special"? Note that in my country, 1.8 lt. are considered "too much", so we are somewhat ignorant about large displacement... :loser:
Well the VQ30DE has won a tonne of awards because of its versatility. It's powerful, torquey, gets great mileage and is very reliable. It's light due to the aluminum block, it revs farily high for a 90deg. V6 and is to an extent....bullet proof. I'm not a fan of the VQ35 for a few reasons. It's much tweakier than the VQ30. It's also drive by wire instead of a throttle cable. It does make good power but I think it wont proove to ba as reliable as past nissan engines.

The VQ has some tuning potential. There aren't a tonne of manufacturers out there making performance parts for it but the ones that do are reputable companies that make high quality parts.
The most effective upgrade to the VQ besides forst induction is a full free-flowing exhaut system.

In north america the VQ had been introduced with the 4th gen maxima and 1st gen i30. It now can be found in the maxima, i35, altima, g35, pathfinder, murano, fx35, frontier and xterra. I'm not certain about what cars get the VQ in Asia, UK and down under though.

·