Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting vibrations in my 95 Maxima after getting a new clutch installed. The vibrations are most pronounced at 1K RPM but are subdued at other RPMs. I went back to the mechanic reasoning that the vibrations are probably caused by an improper clutch, but he said that if the clutch was out of balance, the vibrations should increase when RPM is increased, therefore is unwilling to accept that there could be a problem with the clutch.

I did not go to the dealership for clutch repair, as I did not want to spend a fortune on an old used car, but now I am wondering if I made the right decision. How much damage can an out-of-balance clutch cause to my car?

Any advise willl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Are you running the RPMS to low in a too high of a gear or does it do it in neutral also?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting the vibrations when in neutral. Even when the clutch is pressed in neutral (Don't know if that makes any diff). My gut tells me the flywheel is out of balance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you please elaborate what you mean. Why would the motormounts break? I was not seeing the vibrations before clutch replacement. Do you mean I can rule-out the possibility of flywheel being out of balance?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Generally there is no single one way a clutch plate or pressure plate must face to eliminate vibration. The clutch plate must face one direction or it will not work properly. The pressure plate should be balanced well enough that it shouldn't need to be facing one particular way. Sounds to me like either one of the pressure plate "locating" pins fell out of the flywheel, or one of the bolts that holds the pressure plate on the flywheel is missing. The bolt or the pin only weighs a few grams but can affect balance dramaticaly when we're talking about a few thousand rpm. I bet money on it being one of those. The vibration probably would go away at higher rpms and be more noticeable at lower rpms, that's how some engine vibrations work. Tire vibrations work opposite, they usually get worse with rpm. Sounds to me like that mechanic is full of BS. You'll prolly need another shop to look at it, I wouldn't trust the one you just went to to have it done, as they prolly know they screwed it up, but would be willing to cover it up by charging you more money to fix something that's not even wrong or related.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts