Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I have an '01 S/C Frontier with the vg33e. I have been told by a Nissan tuner that the blocks are essentially the same. What I want to know is ...is it possible to bolt the vg30de heads on my vg33e block. And if so, will it work properly with the correct belts. Has anyone tried this before? Do you think there would be any gains in performance? I would think the heads would flow better and would yeild better performance with my eaton S/C.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
They are not the same. The VG33E which you have is basically the same as the VG30E/VG30ET not the newer VG30DETT. As for transfering heads not really possible. Not just the fitment issue but it would require alot of custom work do set-up a DOHC head and a custom computer. As far as better power maybe up top but if it were even possible it would take away torque. Your heads are good to about 350rwhp so getting better flowing heads won't even do much for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, So I guess I was misinformed then. I was told there are several guys where he is located (New Orleans area) taking the vg33 block and swapping all thier vg30dett heads, intake manifold, etc. to it and having a 3.3 TT Z. Another thing I really didn't think about would be my intake runners lining up with the vg30de heads. Is it just a longer stroke or a bigger bore that gives me the +.3 in displacement? I thought about wiring issues but an ecu swap could possibly remedy that. I come from a Honda background (please don't ban me) and everything is interchangeable with them nearly.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
The VG33E and the VG30E and VG30ET are basically identical besides bore and stroke. Most Z31 guys when building high hp motors use the VG33E and build it with VG30ET parts and make it a VG33ET since the engines are basically the same and the parts are interchangeable.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
01 SC CC said:
Let me start by saying I have an '01 S/C Frontier with the vg33e. I have been told by a Nissan tuner that the blocks are essentially the same. What I want to know is ...is it possible to bolt the vg30de heads on my vg33e block. And if so, will it work properly with the correct belts. Has anyone tried this before? Do you think there would be any gains in performance? I would think the heads would flow better and would yeild better performance with my eaton S/C.
VG30DE and VG30/33E blocks are totaly different, the heads will not interchange. The bolt pattern is different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So are the heads for a vg33e and a vg30et the same as far as exhaust and intake ports? Reason I'm asking is I would like to get more out of my vg33e and a turbo setup has sparked my interest. If the ports are the same, and fitment will allow, I could essentially take the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds/turbo from a vg30et to create a turbo vg33 frontier. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
01 SC CC said:
So are the heads for a vg33e and a vg30et the same as far as exhaust and intake ports? Reason I'm asking is I would like to get more out of my vg33e and a turbo setup has sparked my interest. If the ports are the same, and fitment will allow, I could essentially take the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds/turbo from a vg30et to create a turbo vg33 frontier. Any thoughts?
As I recall, in the early days of the 1st gen 300ZX someone swapped in a VG33 and turboed it without using anything aftermarket, so I would assume it's possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you
As I recall, in the early days of the 1st gen 300ZX someone swapped in a VG33 and turboed it without using anything aftermarket, so I would assume it's possible.
The VG33E and the VG30E and VG30ET are basically identical besides bore and stroke. Most Z31 guys when building high hp motors use the VG33E and build it with VG30ET parts and make it a VG33ET since the engines are basically the same and the parts are interchangeable.
Thank you.

Base upon my physical identification of the VG30DETT(twin turbo) and the VG33E-R(supercharge engine) are indentical.

Currently in the process of swapping over the top-end of the VG30DETT on to the bottom-end(block), using the 300zx Twin turbocharged with wiring harness,ECU into 2003 Nissan frontier XE(D22).

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
If you have a Frontier S/C, you have a VG33ER, not a VG33E. They are very similar, but not the same. The VG33ER has different pistons giving it a slightly lower compression. VG33ER engines do not have an EGR system whereas a VG33E may or may not come with an EGR system (but most usually do). Also, when you start comparing VG33 and VG30 engines, there may be differences in the diameter of the front of the crankshaft where the crank pulley slides on to. Nissan had some issues with the end of the crank breaking on some VG30 engines so they increased the diameter to "beef it up," so to speak, which required a crank pulley with a larger hole to fit the crank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts