Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 89 300zx TT and i just done a engine swap recently because the old engine blew up and now most the time it wont go and when i do finally get it to fire up it backfires really loud and sounds like its not running on all cylinders, even when i do get it to start sometimes it idles and other times it will just die again. i checked which exhaust is backfiring and its coming from the left hand exhaust and the right hand one doesn't seem to have anything coming out of it at all. I installed a new timing belt and spark plugs when i put the engine in. i checked the spark of all the coils and took the crank angle sensor off to see if the injectors are pulsing, checked the wiring harness to the e.c.u. i can't think of anything apart from maybe i got the timing slightly off?? anyone got any ideas?? maybe its electrical??

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I'm confused, are you saying your Z was a 89 z32 NA and you converted to a VG30dett? Or are you saying you replaced your vg30dett with another vg30dett?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Did you install the timing belt? It sounds like the timing belt is off a teeth or two. You should also do a ECU Diagnostics located at the top of the Z32 forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i installed the timing belt im a mechanic by trade, but our workshop is a bit ancient and we dont have any diagnostic equipment. thanks for the help

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I have seen timing belts jump and why I suggested you look at it again. Also the z32 ecu has a self diagnostic feature to help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i checked the timing belt and refitted it, also done the self diagnostics test and the e.c.u says that everything there is fine (5 long flashes and 5 short flashes). the car still wont start!!!! im puzzled as to what it could be. anyone???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yip checked it , it looks all good for pressure. It sounds like it almost wants to start and then it just goes back to winding over again. smoke comes out of both the exhausts for the first few cranks then nothing. could it be the power transistor unit? would the e.c.u self diagnostic pick up on that? or does that only tell you the wiring is alright?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i finally got it going everytime now, for some reason it kept on fouling the spark plugs i put a fresh set in and it started straight away. But now the computer must be in fail-safe mode because i can't rev the engine above 2400rpm. is that a problem with the MAS?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
If the MAS is disconnected then the check engine light comes on and the car won't go past 2000-2400 rpms. You might might want to clean the MAS and see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
theres no engine light coming on, it just won't rev over 2400rpm. i took the MAF out and cleaned it with electrical parts cleaner but its still exactly the same. do you think that the MAF might be wrecked?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Here are a few more thing to check.

1) What kind, make of spark plugs are you using?
2) Recheck injectors by testing OHM's ~12~14ohms each.
3) Check Compression.

I'm leading towards injectors, now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like my car i cant get it started it makes back fire noise out the intake and wont start would that be timming and my nuatraul safty switch code is on will that cause it not to start im lost also

1 - 15 of 15 Posts