Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my freind has a 90 300zx with a NA motor in it that dosent work. I was able to find a VG30DET for a good price but I am a bit confused I never knew they made a single turbo version. I know that many have been modified for peopl that out them in there 240s. Is the single turbo a factory motor or cuctom. Also if swapping this turbo motor what is needed to be done change ECU, Exshaust, etc etc things like this. If anyone has done this swap I could use all the help i can get plus if anyone can direct me to a site with this information as well that would be great. Sure hope you can help me out thxs.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
The DET (single turbo) motor was JDM only, as I recall. Any time you do an NA to turbo swap, it necessitates a lot of changes. ECU, wiring , even the transmission and differential. I don't think thats a project you want to take on. If I'm wrong, I would suggest you do some research on the subject. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The VG30DET was a Z31 turbo motor, its underpowered compared to the NA VG30DE(Z32)

for a VG30DETT the tranny housing is different and you should get the TT ECU to go with it, it can also be done with boost controller and whatever else it is i forgot.

The diff wont need to be changed, thats in the back of the car. In fact the NA diff (4.09) works for better accel. than the TT diff (3.69)

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Shadow Z said:
The VG30DET was a Z31 turbo motor, its underpowered compared to the NA VG30DE(Z32)

for a VG30DETT the tranny housing is different and you should get the TT ECU to go with it, it can also be done with boost controller and whatever else it is i forgot.

The diff wont need to be changed, thats in the back of the car. In fact the NA diff (4.09) works for better accel. than the TT diff (3.69)

..... No it wasn't

The VG30ET was the Z31 Turbo motor. The VG30DET was only sold in the Phillipeans (however you spell it) and a few other select countries.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the single turbo actualy performs less power than the Na motor hm thats interesting but why? its the same motor as a na only with a turbo its not VG30E its a vg30Det?? but I deffinitly need more research. I may not be the one physicaly doing the swap but I am helping to find information on what needs to be done

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
..... No it wasn't

The VG30ET was the Z31 Turbo motor. The VG30DET was only sold in the Phillipeans (however you spell it) and a few other select countries.
Thats what I thought

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Shadow Z said:
Nope a VG30ET is the one in the Z31T. VG30DETs were found in Cimas. It wouldn't be much harder then a TT swap, but some parts will be hard to get or will have to be custom made.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Shadow Z said:

The ET was the Z motor, at least in the U.S. We never got the DET here, as has already been said. And you might think the ET is underpowered compared to the DE motor, but all we have to do is crank up the boost. ;) I'm putting out about 40 more Hp than a DE right now, for about $50 in mods...... Sorry, the DE has no such options. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
meh, i dont own a z31, so owell. singleturbo Z32 sounds stupid to me tho. i dont care how you slice it.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Shadow Z said:
Meh, i dont own a z31, so oh well. singleturbo Z32 sounds stupid to me tho. i dont care how you slice it.
Certainly not the way he's going to do it, no. A DET would be a good swap for a Z31, seems to me it'd be a bit of a downgrade for a Z32.... he should just find out why the original motor is not working.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first of all yah if it was me I would save the extra money for the TT as for the old motor he know whats wround I don't remebr either way its done pretty serious but thxs for the help guys will c what he decided to go threw with

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Certainly not the way he's going to do it, no. A DET would be a good swap for a Z31, seems to me it'd be a bit of a downgrade for a Z32.... he should just find out why the original motor is not working.
Why would it be a downgrade? You have a single turbo set-up and a motor that is rated the same as the JDM VG30DETT. I would rather have the single turbo motor anyway.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Why would it be a downgrade? You have a single turbo set-up and a motor that is rated the same as the JDM VG30DETT. I would rather have the single turbo motor anyway.
Seems to me it'd be more of a PITA with the large single turbo, and the consequent crossover pipes. I don't remember if there was any issues with the turbo clearing the steering shaft on LHD cars, as there usually is with large single turbos. The ETs turbo is in a horrible position, I'm sure you know that. I can only imagine a DOHC headed motor. The Z works well with the TT setup, why not just have it converted to that? Don't have to worry about engineering a setup. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what would be needed to convert this single turbo to the double. Any idea on what he should be looking at towards priceing. Does all the cost and hassel of changeing to support this single turbo kinda make doing a single turbo pointless would he be better of jsut going NA? he says TT is out the question because he dosent want to spend the money for one :thumbdwn: which in my mind is no good. Remeber his car has a NA motor in it so in donig the TT swap he would have to adjsut allott as well. would he not

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
240droptop said:
what would be needed to convert this single turbo to the double. Any idea on what he should be looking at towards priceing. Does all the cost and hassel of changeing to support this single turbo kinda make doing a single turbo pointless would he be better of jsut going NA? he says TT is out the question because he dosent want to spend the money for one :thumbdwn: which in my mind is no good. Remeber his car has a NA motor in it so in donig the TT swap he would have to adjsut allott as well. would he not
The same stuff he'd be changing for the DET motor. ECU, wiring, etc. I have no idea if the DET requires a different motor mount setup, he needs to figure that out too. And does it bolt up to the existing trans. And it's unlikely that trans would survive the extra power, remember it's the weaker NA trans. Much more to this than simply throwing the motor in the car.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I fully understand all of that Thast why i'm asking if he's not gona go for the TT would it jsut make aton of more sense to do a NA swap or is the single turbo worth it for all that has to be changed

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
240droptop said:
Oh I fully understand all of that Thast why i'm asking if he's not gona go for the TT would it jsut make aton of more sense to do a NA swap or is the single turbo worth it for all that has to be changed
Well having a single turbo would be better for drag racing where as it doesn't matter as much if you have major lag (as long as you can get it spooled up before the light turns green) A bigger turbo can push more air into the engine. Where if you had 2 big turbo's it's going to take quite a bit more...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K thanks for everyones help he ended up jsut buying a NA for a decent price so he's gona put that in it

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
240droptop said:
K thanks for everyones help he ended up jsut buying a NA for a decent price so he's gona put that in it
That was probably his best bet. NA to TT swaps are time consuming and very expensive. It's been said before and pretty much applies to any car, you might as well just buy the turbo model if you want a turbo.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey im looking for a twin turbo wiring harness if anyone know where i can get one please tell me, cuz in here in jacksonville florida and iv been trying everywhere to get a engine wiring harness and no one has one .... please let me know where in can get one cuz my baby been sitting at home for a long time. thanks d

1 - 20 of 24 Posts