Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Infiniti J30, love the car, never had a single problem in 4 years. All of a sudden I am getting a rattling sound, it appears like it is coming from the right side head. I don't think it could be anything major since the car is not missing at all, and I don't notice a loss of power. I had the car to the dealer, and they seem to think it may be a cam pulley. According to the dealer they have never seen a bad 300zx or J30 engine with less than 100k on it. I have 95k on mine. The dealer told me the only bad engine he saw had 190k on it. Just wondering if anybody here ever had a similar problem with a 300zx or J30. I also don't want to give these clowns $100 an hour when they have no idea what's wrong. Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Todd

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Thread relocation

I moved this post into the VG30DE engine forum... you may have better luck here with those who own this motor. :) Best of luck!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a possibility, in case you haven't fixed it yet. I have the VG30DE in my 90 Z, and had a tapping sound up front, driver's side. It turned out to be a weak VTC spring (inside the intake cam sprocket on the driver's side in my car). I got a new spring and O-ring seal for $4 from the dealer and changed them in half an hour and no more noise. That may be the case in your car.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
todrules said:
I have an Infiniti J30, love the car, never had a single problem in 4 years. All of a sudden I am getting a rattling sound, it appears like it is coming from the right side head. I don't think it could be anything major since the car is not missing at all, and I don't notice a loss of power. I had the car to the dealer, and they seem to think it may be a cam pulley. According to the dealer they have never seen a bad 300zx or J30 engine with less than 100k on it. I have 95k on mine. The dealer told me the only bad engine he saw had 190k on it. Just wondering if anybody here ever had a similar problem with a 300zx or J30. I also don't want to give these clowns $100 an hour when they have no idea what's wrong. Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Todd
I am pretty sure its the VTC spring in your variable cvam timing device. Its a cheap fix. it sounds like its coming from the head, front of the motor right? Its louder when you rev it up and the rpm's drop?

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
todrules said:

Todd
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yeah I just recently had my vg30de swapped for the 95 TT. I've been thru hell and back with this car, but I still love it. Anyway you should have them check out the vtc system. It's not cheap to look at. Im having the same problem. Ticking noise, with a very loud engine whine that gets louder with more engine speed. I guess before you have anything done, rebuild swap or just major engine work, do your homework because it really sucks to get screwed because as you've probably seen or heard this is not just a normal nissan, it's one of their most complex engines and takes a big wallet to keep up on. Sorry not much help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts