Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder with the VG30-E motor. I just had an exhaust manifold stud break off while changing a leaking manifold gasket and now can't figure out how to remove the stud without pulling the motor to get access. If anyone has any experience with this any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
um i dont know where you can find the tool but i got mine from snap on it is a stud installer socket you just put it on the stud and it works like a socket

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i actually already have a few easy-outs that i used to get a broken stud out of a 351 motor, the problem that I am having here is that I can't seem to get at the dang thing without pulling the either engine or the head, neither of which I really want to do. the stud in question is the furthest back bottom stud on the passenger side.

·
3,553 Posts
Try going through the fenderwell. BTW, if you want better studs, VG30 300ZX TT studs are a direct replacement and do not snap off like the old Pathfinder studs did. It's a very common problem.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i actually already have a few easy-outs that i used to get a broken stud out of a 351 motor, the problem that I am having here is that I can't seem to get at the dang thing without pulling the either engine or the head, neither of which I really want to do. the stud in question is the furthest back bottom stud on the passenger side.
There is a tool that attaches to the end of a drill and it angles the drill bit at a 90 degree angle. If you can find that in your local tool store, it'll save you lots of time and or money.

It was used on my 5.7L CJ7 that I once owned and worked great. Only took half an hour, but then, I had lots of room to work with, unlike vehicles nowadays.

I don't have the tool anymore, but a recall googling and found a place in Salem, Oregon selling it. Sorry, can't remember the name, but IF someone in Salem can make some calls... :eek:)LOL

·
3,553 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools sells several different 90 degree angle drill attachments. You can find them online at Harbor Freight's website IIRC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts