Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-

I picked up a used 97 Altima last week to commute with in order to save fuel.

Since then, I have been doing some catch up maintenance on the car, and over the weekend I replaced the spark plugs. I noticed that the spark plugs on either end of the motor were quite oily...as were the 'tubes' connecting the plug wires to the plugs.

Interestingly, the two middle plugs were dry and just looked like they needed general replacement.

Any ideas as to why the ones on either end would be oily like that?

The car was showing codes for a while for an EGR (since fixed and computer reset) , and I was told that the computer will actually retard timing to operate in safe mode until the problem is rectified. Would operating the car with the timing retarded cause this at all? Just wondering- Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been doing some catch up maintenance on the car, and over the weekend I replaced the spark plugs. I noticed that the spark plugs on either end of the motor were quite oily...as were the 'tubes' connecting the plug wires to the plugs.
The spark plug tubes have a rubber seal where the valve cover mates to them ... that seal is probably leaking and oil is getting into the tubes.

Go to NAPA and get a valve cover seal kit ... it has all the gaskets. Might as well do the whole valve cover while you're at it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like a blown gasket. Just replace it and make sure to get sealent for it and get ALL THE EDGES.. its like a 15 minute job and make sure you have all the bolts and washers as well...it will not go back in place properly without all the parts....

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
just fyi, you dont do all the edges, you only do the cam end caps with sealant. preferably ultra gray or the nissan gray silicone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts