Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my '90 300zx about 2 weeks ago, and just yesterday it broke a connecting rod. I originally took out a $6000 loan to get the car, Im 18 and I work in fast food so Im on a bit of a tight budget.

Obviously I didnt plan for something like this, so I have no idea where to start and what to do. The nissan deader by my house wants $8000 to put in a new engine, WHICH IS JUST FRICKIN INSULTING, so dealing with them alltogether is no-longer an option.

My question is, should I try to get a new engine from the internet, rebuild my existing engine, or try to repair that one cylinder? Im mechanically inclined but I lack the experience and tools it would take to do the engine work myself. Im thinking if all goes well I might have about $3000 to work with here.

I came dangerously close to breaking down in tears when this happened, I need help and it would be great if this becomes the last place I need to look to find help. :)

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Wrong section.

Section below is the Z32 section.

Buy an engine and install it yourself. Do you have any friends that could help, or that know what they are doing?

How in the hell did you break a rod?

8000 is way way to much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well this is a very strange forum, I thought "Nissan Forums Bulletin Board @ NissanForums.com > Nissan Models > Nissan Z > 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX(T), & Z31 300ZX(T) " would suggest that this is for all Z's. Im new here so Ill find out eventually.

Anyway, I dont have friends that know what theyr doing, but I do have one that might have the equipment it would take to install it. But I would think thats kindof wearing out my welcome around his family taking up all thier garage space for that amount of time. I would like to get it installed professionally but Im not sure if I can for under $3000.

Do any of you know some websites I can go to get an engine that wont screw me out of $1500 if I buy from them? I intend to get my car back on the road before this week is over but I need to see my options. From reading around in here it looks like many of you have replaced an engine in some kind of car.

I kindof wonder if it was my fault that the rod broke, but its doubtful. That day I was cleaning all the carbon buildup from the throttlebody and I replaced all the spark plugs, fuel, and air filters. It doesnt seem like any of those things should break a rod, even if I did screw up on one of them.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Go to Z1 they have a junkyard full of Z32s. And your assumption was wrong. The Z31 is the 84-89 (USDM) 300ZX, not the 90-96 Z32 300ZX.

Are you sure it is a rod? What are the symptoms?

Will a mod move this to the correct section?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Pretty hard to break a VG30DETT rod last time I checked. That engine can take 600 Hp with no internal mods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
JAMESZ said:
He has a VG30DE. ;)
the engine is still as strong man. I've never heard of someone blowing up an N/A either.

Sorry if it insults you that some of us have N/A's.

6k for a 90? That seems like a lot. How many miles are on it? Did you buy it from a dealership? for 6k you could have gotten a newer one with decently low miles too.

But either way, good luck. with 3k, you could get an engine from ebay.......just becareful what you choose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, yes its a 1990 300zx 2+2 without turbos. It has 160k miles on it and I only actually payer $4000 for it, the other $2000 of my loan was for repairs because every used car has its problems, and I have already put that extra $2000 to good use on stuff like brakes and tuneup materials.

The nissan dealer already confirmed to me that it was a broken connecting rod in cylinder #3, but I already knew it was before I took it there because I can hear the knocking really loud and I couldnt keep the engine running for longer than 5 seconds. I was hoping that I just had a massive chunk of carbon floating around in the cumbustion chamber, but of course murphy's law would apply in this situation.

Tomorrow Im going to call around some places by my house that specialize in rebuolding engines. I really only need this car to get me around until the end of June, then I can really start putting money into it.

Oh, and I got it from a private owner. I was alittle suspicious that he may have known the rod was going to break and put some extremely heavy gear oil in there to cover the noise, but finding blame wont fix the car.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
96300zx5spd said:
the engine is still as strong man.
It is not "just as strong" it is still a strong motor, but it is not the same as the VG30DETT there are alot of differences between the two. It was more of a correction I was just pointing it out. Sorry if that puts your pants in a wad for no reason.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Thats about the right price. But remember that is the cheap part other things add up and they add up fast. If you want to swap to a VG30DETT I would recommend buying a whole front clip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Im just gonna let my local engine repair shop rebuild my engine. I can buy fancy new engines and do turbo-swaps later on.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
lol they even have a quantity... Like someone would buy more than one (that is normal;))

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
That's funny. $10,000 for a motor that has Wiseco pistons in it. Sorry, for my money I'll put something better in. Greddy and JUN comes to mind. Wiseco, as well as JE, are well known as bottom of the line products, and I certainly wouldn't have that garbage in a $10,000 engine....... Not anything I wanted to keep running for a while, anyway.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
That's funny. $10,000 for a motor that has Wiseco pistons in it. Sorry, for my money I'll put something better in. Greddy and JUN comes to mind. Wiseco, as well as JE, are well known as bottom of the line products, and I certainly wouldn't have that garbage in a $10,000 engine....... Not anything I wanted to keep running for a while, anyway.
WTF? Did you just go dumb for a post? Go do some research and find out how terribly ignorant your post was.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
WTF? Did you just go dumb for a post? Go do some research and find out how terribly ignorant your post was.
I suggest you do some research yourself. JE and Wiseco are used by those more interested in economical value than true performance, Greddy and JUN units beat them hands down. Prove me wrong, otherwise you're just talking out the other end.......

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
You're also more likely to hear piston slap on a cold engine containing Wiseco pistons. Too much expansion and contraction for my taste, especially in a forged piston. That'll cause problems down the road. But hey, whatya know, Greddy and JUN don't have those problems. Probably because they actually make a quality product......

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Wisco did have a problem with pistoin slap. They have now corrected the slap problem a slight redesign, a stamp on the front part of the piston so the piston well not be installed wrong. When buying these pistons make sure they are the current 2 gen. and not the 1st gen.

Personally, I would go with the Wisco now. BTW the stock block is good for 600 rwhp. on a TT.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts