Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope that this will help someone else solve their problem.

My problem started with the VDC/Slip light coming on. Then as I was driving on the highway I tried to activate my Cruise Control and that did not work either. The ABS light came on and finaly, the 4WD light came on.

Not an easy problem to diagnose.

Until I tried renting a trailer. When we where running through the right and left flasher, the driving lights and finaly, the brake lights testing in order to leave with the trailer. We found that the brake lights did not work, both tail lights as well as the light on the rear windshield, and this probably since August.

The brake light fuse was burned. That fuse seams to control all of the above sensors.

If someone could confirm the above or explain how that works it would be great if not, since I replaced the fuse all the systems are back to normal.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
184 Posts
A quick look at the wiring diagram (for my '03) indicates that the wiring goes from:

Battery -> Brake Lights Fuse -> Brake Lights Switch -> stop lamp bulbs and dependent systems (ABS, VDC, Cruise, etc).

This sounds very familiar, because I had a similar problem with my last car and it was wired pretty much the same way.

The brake lamp fuse not only supplies power to the brake lights, but is also needed for a brake switch that detects when the brakes are pressed. If there's no power to that switch, the vehicle's electrical system doesn't know when you're pressing the brakes (luckily, the power brakes aren't electrical!). Any electrical system that relies on information from that switch fails... ABS, VDC, and cruise are examples, as as the brake lights themselves.

Now, the real question is why did that fuse burn out... what year of Pathy do you have? Did it come with a trailer light hookup or did you (recently) install one yourself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Maddy

My Pathfinder is a 2003 LE model.

It came with a factory installed (or dealer) hitch and wirring harness. I do tow a trailer with a Zodiac.

When I back the trailer down the boat ramp. I usualy disconnect the power to the trailer in order to avoid a short.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you're adamant about unlpugging the lights when you're backing the boat into water, there's two other things I could think of:

1. There's a stripped/bared wire on the trailer that's shorting out.
2. The excess load of having the trailer lights on shorted out the fuse.

Hopefully it's #1, since that's a fairly easy fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts