Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally to the point where I'm installing the head on my eternal turbo project. I recently had the head worked and now I need to determine proper shim height. Problem is I don't have the special tool mentioned in the FSM. The FSM shows the tool mounting in the HLA hole. Anybody made or seen something different...like a bolt on/clamp style?

At the machine shop, I doubt that I specified the stems to be ground to the same height as that would have made it a little easier.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

laterz..Jody

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You can get them from Kent-Moore (P/N J39957-N Valve shim gauge plate kit). The kit comes with the plate, hold-down bolts, and dial indicator. You can order it over the phone.

Call them at 800-345-2233

Be sitting when you call. I'll bet the kit is expensive.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info Lewis!

They're closed until Monday to observe Thanksgiving (imagine that).

I'm sure this will be a "one time use" tool so I can't see me spending a lot of money for it. But then again...:( Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Jody

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe me, I thought about that! :D

I've considered taking it to a machine shop to have them do it...seems simple enough: measure this, measure that, the difference is your shim (x8), right it down, I buy it :D

I'm pleased w/ my friends DSM beast completed here in Austin. I plan to check into the machine shop that was used for his car. If they want an arm then I'll probably just give Kent-Moore an arm and a leg.

Thanks again.

Jody

·
Registered
164 Posts
PM me and let me know just how much this tool is also, i would be interested in a purchase also cause i need to shim my stock cams in my gti-r. but when i get a beater car i am going to install my jun 280's and will need to re-shim the head again. please keep me posted!!!!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lshadoff said:
You can get them from Kent-Moore (P/N J39957-N Valve shim gauge plate kit). The kit comes with the plate, hold-down bolts, and dial indicator. You can order it over the phone.

Call them at 800-345-2233

Be sitting when you call. I'll bet the kit is expensive.
Called them today and they said that P/N does not exist. The gentleman also told me that they've switched to the magnetic base dial indicators.

Guess I'll check local machine shops now.

Thanks anyway...Jody

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you find anything localy let me know and i will purchase one with you. cause i know that we don't have many shops around here that deals with that sort of thing.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
jbanach77 said:
if you find anything localy let me know and i will purchase one with you. cause i know that we don't have many shops around here that deals with that sort of thing.
I borrow my friends which is a dial indicator with the rod welded to a hollowed out old HLA. It proably works better than the Kent-Moor tool.

Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
morepower2 said:
I borrow my friends which is a dial indicator with the rod welded to a hollowed out old HLA. It proably works better than the Kent-Moor tool.

Mike
could you be more descriptive in your tool so i get the definitive shim sizes i need? what kind of tools do i need to get to get the readings i need? and how do i go about manually to get the shim size.

i know this sounds like i am dumb guys but i want to be 100% sure while i am doing the measuring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
morepower2 said:

Mike
Mike, I thought the Nissan tool was the one I saw Mike Smith using at JWT. If not, can you send me a private e-mail. I'd like to discuss this with you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Local machine shop price quoted $50-$75 depending on how long it takes. Said it probably won't take more than an hour. I've done work with him before also, so maybe the price will be on the lower end.
Still, it's the cheapest route I've found.

There are many dial indicators on ebay and I have several HLA's from 2 other motors. Wouldn't mind having the tool made similiar to Mike's friend. I'll ask the machinist about this when I drop off the head.

Thanks for the input.

Jody Misenheimer

·
Registered
185 Posts
1fastser said:
Local machine shop price quoted $50-$75 depending on how long it takes. Said it probably won't take more than an hour. I've done work with him before also, so maybe the price will be on the lower end.
Still, it's the cheapest route I've found.

There are many dial indicators on ebay and I have several HLA's from 2 other motors. Wouldn't mind having the tool made similiar to Mike's friend. I'll ask the machinist about this when I drop off the head.

Thanks for the input.

Jody Misenheimer
Jody, what style are we talking about? Are we talking about the kind I saw at JWT or something like Mike described? I've already talked with my machinist as well about making one like they use at JWT.

·
Registered
164 Posts
either way it goes keep me informed. maybe you can get a group purchase together also to further lower the price. just a thought

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Geo said:
Jody, what style are we talking about? Are we talking about the kind I saw at JWT or something like Mike described? I've already talked with my machinist as well about making one like they use at JWT.
I don't know what your eyes saw at JWT ;)

I was referring to the one described by Mike..."dial indicator with the rod welded to a hollowed out old HLA". I'm sure the hole in the HLA would need to be 'true' and the bar welded in perfectly verticle...correct?

I'll take the head to the machine shop when the rocker arm guides come in.

laterz...Jody

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
yeah I asctualy feel that there is a limited comercial need for this product, george? nudge, nudge!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey guys. I wrote the part # off of one at work. The part# you have is wrong. The right part # is J38957-N. Funny, for some reason we have 2 of these kits. I might have to acquire one of these.;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
morepower2 said:
yeah I asctualy feel that there is a limited comercial need for this product, george? nudge, nudge!
It's on the docket Mike. I agree, there is a need for this and I'm quite certain I can get them produced for far less than what is currently available. I've talked with my machinist already and it should be plenty easy to do. My biggest problem at the moment is while I have plenty of spare blocks, I don't have any spare heads around. I traded one a long time ago, and my other is still at JWT. I'll see if I can find someone around here to let me borrow one. I'm sure in an afternoon I could get one drawn up and with another afternoon of checking the prototype we'd be all set.

I'll start looking for a head to borrow.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts