Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Nissan Wingroad Y10 with a GA15DE engine. I sometimes hear a noise for a few seconds after starting the engine from cold. Is valve clearance the most likely explanation?

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,728 Posts
If the noise is a loud rattle, it's the timing chain assembly. If the noise is a ticking sound, it's valve stem clearance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's more of a ticking sound. I originally wanted to ask about valve shims, hence the title of my post which I forgot to change. Adjusting valve clearance on the GA15DE engine involves replacing valve shims. I was wondering where to get the shims. The only ones I've found online are for motorcycles.

·
7,728 Posts
Back in 1991, I had a 240SX which used a KA24DE. I had to make some shim adjustments, so I was able to get several shim sizes from a Nissan dealer. I would assume that the KA24DE shims will fit a GA15DE. You might also check out high perf companies like Enjuku Racing and VividRacing.

Another option is to use one of your old shims as a sample for fitment purposes with shims for motorcycles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in 1991, I had a 240SX which used a KA24DE. I had to make some shim adjustments, so I was able to get several shim sizes from a Nissan dealer. I would assume that the KA24DE shims will fit a GA15DE. You might also check out high perf companies like Enjuku Racing and VividRacing.

Another option is to use one of your old shims as a sample for fitment purposes with shims for motorcycles.
Thanks for the suggestions. I only hear the noise occasionally. Is that still likely due to excessive valve clearance? I suppose there's only one way to know for sure. The car has done about 280,000 km so there's a good chance they do need adjusting.

·
7,728 Posts
If the ticking stops after the engine warms up a bit, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just a few lifters that have slightly greater clearance then what the spec calls for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts