Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have 9007's in the car because 9004 are as bright as a lighter. Since 9007's are a much better setup, I installed those, but now have the stupid headlight problem -- I'm thinking it is drawing too much current through the circuit. Quick ? -- Has anybody tried to use a relay with the low beam? (The high should be fine, it's still 65w) The relay should reduce the current to next to nothing on that circuit and even boost the voltage slightly to the 9007 bulbs.

I really don't want to go back to the 9004's.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they were pretty bad when I bought the car. I wet sanded them, then used rubbing compound and plastic polish using a random orbital polisher and they are in much better shape. I am a firm believer that D.O.T. Standards for lumens is pathetic, so I am always trying to max out my lighting.

I did switch over to 9004 XV (Sylvania's) and the lighting systems works fine, although it is dimmer than it should be (IMO). Once I get the rest of the car working correctly, I probably will try the relay idea because 700 lumens just ain't gonna cut it when a 9007 can put out 1000. I think it will work because the relay will draw next to nothing from the Headlight circuit, and I will just run a fused 12ga wire straight from the batt to the relay, to the bulbs.

I realize that I could go with a different housing for HID or Projector beams, but the name of the game is bang for the buck :) 9007's are the same price as 9004's yet they are much brighter.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9004 = 45w/65w = 700 lumens low ? lumens high
9007 = 55w/65w = 1000 lumens low ? lumens high (High is the same)

While The difference is roughly 1 amp for each headlight, the stock circuit is so sensitive that it freaked out on my car causing the brights indicator to be on all the time, and I either had two very dim headlights, 1 normal headlight, or two bright headlights (brights) depending on the switch and fog light settings.

When I put the 9004s back it's fine, so it's a current problem. The relays will fix that.

The 9007 socket itself is the same as the 9004 socket, but there are three mounting tabs in the composite headlight for locating the light. You need to snap one off and then the 9007 will fit fine.

I'll probably do a writup if everybody is interested in a few weeks. First I need to get the timing chain fixed before I start monkeying around with other stuff :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.