Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 b14 5 speed (am debating if its a gxe since I bought it with out the letters in the back :loser: ) anyways this is my first car and my first time driving stickshift. I have learn and I never have any problem driving it ( no more stalling) now my question is this. I live in a miami and I go and see my girlfriend alot and I have to take I-95 around 4-5pm all the time bumper to bumper traffifc. I hate it but I just have to see her. Traffic is horrible so I dont get past 2 gear. Now my the clutch is always in and out and sometimes I ride it, in other words when I have to slow down I hold on the clutch so it wont start jerking at such a slow speed and brake at the same time. Then I let go off the clutch and a second later do the same thing again when I have to slow down. Is riding the clutch like this gonna damage it???????????????????????????????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James said:
yes. i've found a good way to avoid having to worry about that so much is to avoid following too closely and let the engine rev higher in each gear...
the only problem with that is the slower you go 10 cars will get in your lane. Thats the only problem am having driving is bumper to bumper traffic is having to use that clutch so much

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
91sentra said:
just take it easy and give yourself space if soemthing goes wrong. Also dont do anything abruptly like let up on the clutch fast or anything like that since its easier to stall with a brand new clutch esp. when your just learning :thumbup:
crap the worst place this call ever stall on me was in a middle of a busy intersection. I was waiting for the light to turn green and I thought I had the car in 1st gear I learn when I stall in the dead middle of the street I had it in 4th. There nothing more embarassing then having a bunch of cars looking at you start your car over again

p.s. One trick I learn from driving on that type of traffic is. When I get a little moventom I just put the car in neutral and just brake when I need to

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Riding the clutch like that will trash it pretty fast.
BTW i feel your pain man. the 1st day i got my car my dad decided it would be good for the learning process if i take it out on the highway.. well there ends up being an accident on the interstate and trafic is at a standstill. finally when we make it up to the accident the 3 lane highway is shortened to 1 lane. while passing the accident i thought i was in 1st turns out its in third and i stall it in the middle of the highway blocking about a mile of traffic then as im startingthe car up i try to take off and stall it again. by this time pple are honking everywhere and im so embarassed but 3rd times a charm i got her going and raced out of there before they could honk at me any more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
slow200 said:
Riding the clutch like that will trash it pretty fast.
BTW i feel your pain man. the 1st day i got my car my dad decided it would be good for the learning process if i take it out on the highway..
heh. first time i got my car, i got to learn stick 'solo' across 700 or so miles, from south of houston->austin->and then here, el paso. stepped in it the first time 5min before i had to leave. that was loads of fun :) houston rush hour was a blast :p thank god most of it afterwards was open road. i think i only stalled out like 3-4 times in all. 2 were pulling in and outa my sis's garage in austin. lucky i guess....or maybe the paranoia of being pointed at and embarrased kept me from messin' up . though i rode the clutch often during then. still good right now, but couldn't hurt to replace it for the first time in 162k+ miles.

heh, stalled once on the way out from where i got it at a stop sign....man, ppl do NOT like to wait. it only took a sec to restart it and go.... geez :rolleyes:

·
See Below
278 Posts
sentra305 said:
I have a 1995 b14 5 speed (am debating if its a gxe since I bought it with out the letters in the back
If you give me the vin I will give you all of the information there is to know about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Solidox2k said:
heh. first time i got my car, i got to learn stick 'solo' across 700 or so miles, from south of houston->austin->and then here, el paso. stepped in it the first time 5min before i had to leave. that was loads of fun :) houston rush hour was a blast :p thank god most of it afterwards was open road. i think i only stalled out like 3-4 times in all. 2 were pulling in and outa my sis's garage in austin. lucky i guess....or maybe the paranoia of being pointed at and embarrased kept me from messin' up . though i rode the clutch often during then. still good right now, but couldn't hurt to replace it for the first time in 162k+ miles.

heh, stalled once on the way out from where i got it at a stop sign....man, ppl do NOT like to wait. it only took a sec to restart it and go.... geez :rolleyes:

I did the same thing over 500 miles. I was so afraid to stop and not get going again I just wizzed in pop bottles the whole way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.