Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
year: 1998
um just get home and my mother said she refilled the brake fluid...insted she pored the fluid into the thing infront of blake fluid fill up (more towards front of suv) instead of the 1 with the yellow cap(is were supposed to fill right?) i dono if that messed with brakes?? but when i got home i filled brake fluid up with correct fluid in right fill up (yellow cap)
And as far as no RWD in idle it runs perfect/normal, moves like it should but when i put on a little gas i can hear something spinning back there but tires stay still..Any help please??? REALLY NEED FAST REPLY ASAP!:eek::eek:

·
3,553 Posts
A picture would help, and I can only say that if you have no forward motion at all you either need trans fluid or broke the transfer case. Is it an automatic? If she put brake fluid into the transmission, there are going to be some costly repairs coming...

·
Registered
142 Posts
the yellow cap is brake fluid,the black one in front of that is power steering fluid,the one in front right behind grille (driver side) is coolant, also yellow,to the left( you are facing towards engine looking to the rear) also behind grille is wiper de icer/washer also yellow. as for no rwd something is not engaged,try shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive. i have a 1998 also.(automatic)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Depends. If you have a manual tranny, then right in front of the brake fluid revervoir is the clutch fluid reservoir. Should be perfectly fine to put brake fluid in there.

If it's automatic, then there's no clutch fluid reservoir and the next thing in front would be the power steering. Probably not a good thing if brake fluid got in there, but that shouldn't affect your RWD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yeah, i don't have manual so i cannot say,to be safe,i noted i had automatic, i didnt want the wrong fluid in wrong component without pic:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
A picture would help. You shoul take it to get what ever one the brake fuild flushed. Might help prevent something. (I would think you may be okayfor a short while because the two oils would mix but there may also be too much pressure and other things and short while may be really short also).

As far as clutch, it does use brake fuild. I don't think I ever seen a clutch fuild and anyway the brake cyclender and the clutch cyclender to exactly the same thing, increase pressure in the line. Brake just may have chambers and a few more things added to it.

As far as no RWD, might be the trans going on you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts