Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I just got my UR pulley installed, and I tried to read my timing. Problem is, (I never thought about this before) the pulley is smaller (duh) and I cant read the timing. I see the marks, but the little needle doesn't line up....it is at the exact circumfrence of the new pulley. How do I go about reading the timing marks? Do I have to be at a certain angle? Do you understand what I mean?

And no, I didn't feel a huge difference, so I wont contribute to any false claims.
:p

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Have you ever messed with your timing before??? Sounds to me like it is off. Where is your neddle pointing??

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm guessing he adjusted it with the stock crank pulley then got the UR pulley and can't read the marks because the pulley is smaller and doesn't line up with the stationary marks as well. As far as I know if UR did a decent job making their pulleys the marks would be machined to line up with the marker taking into account the smaller diameter of the pulley itself. I've never seen one in person so I couldn't give a straight answer.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read it from the side of the car...facing the flat surface of the pulley. I'm gonna compare mine with a friend's tomorrow, and tell you what we see.
And how do you mean the timing is F*ed up? I forgot to do something....

Before
.......l
......O

After
.......l
......o

Thats kinda how it looks. At first, the needle was slightly off center of the pulley. Now, the needle is at the edge of the pulley. Hope you understand that.

Why do you say my timing would be f*ed up? I dont think they adjusted the timing.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
I didnt say that it was messed up.. Only that if it has been adjusted that maybe it was done incorrectly and that is why it doesnt line up. You should read your timing looking down at the needle from a standing position from the front or side of the car(cant remember which way give you a better veiw) Oh yea if its like my car(should be) slide the coolan resivor out of its holder and set it off to the side for a clearer view. Like here:

http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/engine.php?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could have sworn I saw a post that said....oh well.
I do move the coolant bottle, and stand at the side looking down. Thats the way I always used to check it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts