Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a lot of questions about stuff thats gone wrong on this forum...a lot more than outher car forums...is that just a reflection of the people that post here, or is that a reflection of bad reliability in these models? Just wondering what to look foward to on my b14 200sx i bout 2 weeks ago.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
well, think of it like this:

how old is your car?

how old is the NEWEST GA16 ever produced for sale in the states? At least 6 years old.

your car is what, 8 years old now? Old cars have normal maintenance issues.....most of the GA16s are getting close to 100k or are well over 100k.

think about this ;)

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
i think the point of the forum is to help people with there problems(and for prople to associate with there fellow car enthusiasts[sp?])...if we cant help then they will have to shovel out some $$ so basicly think of this as a problem solving, money saving website :thumbup:

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
At Mexico, almost 80% of taxis are B13 Tsurus, many newer ones (we still produce the venerable 4dr B13), we got tons of compact cars to choose, much more than in USA & taxi drivers always return to the reliable Tsuru.

Almost all above 100k miles & adding a lot of miles (kms by the way) a day, all with the different versions of GA16's.

*Mex B13 Tsurus are the same as USA B13 Sentras

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Well people come to Tech section primarily for 2 things, modding advice and trouble shooting, so you are bound to see a lot of issues being mentioned.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts
b14_200sx said:
I'm seeing a lot of questions about stuff thats gone wrong on this forum...a lot more than outher car forums...is that just a reflection of the people that post here, or is that a reflection of bad reliability in these models? Just wondering what to look foward to on my b14 200sx i bout 2 weeks ago.
My 97 GXE I have had from new, and has 72,000 miles. Apart from tyres, brakes, 1 battery, air filter and plugs that is all she has had. Not even a fuel filter!! 7 year old car, this is excellent......
These cars are reliable but getting old as already has been said. So I have a small Oil leak just started, and rear drums are noisy. Also a weak clutch to look forward to replacing soon.
Good luck with your car....

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
im not even gonna front.....my GA was very unreliable..and i babied that fuckin motor..it only had about 125k miles...my sr20 has 154k and is running very strong..

·
Registered
158 Posts
cHoPs said:
im not even gonna front.....my GA was very unreliable..and i babied that fuckin motor..it only had about 125k miles...my sr20 has 154k and is running very strong..
A car like yours must come a dime a dozen. Because my GA16 has over 160k on it and it runs like a champ. Very strong, and the auto tranny still shifts smooth with NO roughness at all. A testimony to the reliabilty of the GA16.... I once saw and heard a GA16 with almost 400K, and another with 225K that sounded just as smooth as mine!! These are great engines!

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
meh, right now my GA has around 210,000 miles and not one problem yet except for a burnt harness and all the other stuff that has to be replaced on a regular basis, wtires, brakes, plugs, wires, a new starter etc etc.... but thats a given with any car.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That is a excellent question. I knew nothing about Sentra's when I bought mine about 100,000 miles ago. It has not been as reliable as I hoped it would be, but, on the other hand, at 172,000 miles it runs stronger than the day I got it. A lot depends on how it was maintained by the previous owner. I found that many people that trade in cars, are the ones who do not maintain them well. That was my case. Common repairs or ones I needed: Front main seal, alternator, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket (2 times) , outer CV boots (3 sets), starter, 2 sets of plug wires. There are other things. But, I would buy it again. Great handling car. Overall, it has done well. I also have a Saturn. Each car has its weak points. I come here and go to other forums since I do what repairs I can myself. Other Sentra owners go 200,000 miles or so with a lot less problems than I have had.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The wife and I have driven several Nissans 200,000 + miles and only sold them then because we wanted rigs with newer styling. I've always been impressed with the reliability of Japanese of electrics/electronics. Haven't ever had something fizzle because a connection turned green. Can't say that about the German cars we (still) drive. When my wife's Audi finally craps out on the road and they haul it to a boneyard, I'll go pick her up in the '94 Pathfinder. :thumbup:

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
what are you talking about my nissan is verry reliable except. chain tensioner, idler sprocket, striped out 5th gear, 3 altenators, starter, clutch kit, thermostat leaking problem, spun connecting rod bearing, cracked timing chain cover, and a really bad oil leak due to the timing chain cover. but boy does she run like a champ :banana: ... at least not all this happened at the same time and not all of it was my fault liek the first half of that list wasnt my fault lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
i've been very impressed with my B14 with the GA16DE, i've had it for about 4-5 months and the only problem that i see with it is that it needs a front seal replacement. I have the parts but not the time. So for now i just add the oil every now and then. Runs like a champ, couldn't ask for a better car for 400 bucks :)oh yeah.. it's got almost 140,000 miles and the clutch is still like new.

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
I've my GA16DE Sentra since new (1997), the main difference is maintenance, it runs better than newer, but I just have 40k miles (yes 40,000 miles).

Always synthethic oil & runs really smooth.

Plugs/Wires/Alternator/Batteries/shocks/brakepads that all cars require often.

·
Registered
851 Posts
my b13 is a fawking tank. and my GA16 is fawking bulletproof. i would smack anyone that said anything negative about all b13's/the GA16 engine :mad:

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
there slow :thumbup:
True, but have great potential.....lol

cHoPs said:
Thats because the way your treated it. Dont tell me you babied it, cause I know you better than that. You were what 12 when you baught.....lol

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts

Plus, I was t-boned in my b14, with my wife in the passenger side. The only thing wrong with her is she has a slight case of whiplash, and we are bolth a lil sore. I drove the damn car 20 miles home, with out any noises, it didnt even pull to the left or right. Went on down the road straight as an arrow. They had to total the car out cause the repairs exceeded the value price, but I dove the car around another 50 or so miles before it was towed to the yard for inspection. I will always give praise to the safty of any Nissan vehicle.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
maybe I open a can of worms with this one but I think the problem with the ga16de owner is the person driving it. there's nothing wrong with that motor and the only reason why its potential has not been reached is the owners...

you're all cheap... that's all i'm gonna say about that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts