Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here swaped their stock underdrive pulley to a unorthodox racing pulley? if so what difference did it make?
This is another step I'm thinking about to change in my sentra, if it's not so expensive. But anyway did it give the car more hp and does it feel better to drive with the a/c on.
Please post, thanks.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
i did and love it you definetly feel the difference in power its not that expensive think it is about $170 or so i highly recommend
:D
on the AC thing they make it so you can be an everyday driver and use your AC but i dont use my AC cause the damn compressor is broken and waiting for it not to be on back order:(
but it shouldn't affect it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good thanks for the reply I'm really gonna do this once I get the dough. I appreciate it.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
np like i said i love it if you need help getting one let me know ill see what i can do

·
Driver
736 Posts
As for the A/C, after installing the pulley I noticed that the engine doesn't strain as much when the A/C is turned on, unlike before. It's a good buy.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
sweet deal ! i think ill get that first.

·
0 Posts
UR Pulleys

I have the 4-pulley set on my SE-R, and it helps the SR20 at ton. I can only imagine it would be the same for the GA16.

Just be prepared, the A/C might not blow quite as cold as before the pulley swap. Mine doesn't get as cold as fast as before, but it still works fine - unless I have to park in the blazing sun, then nothing will cool the interior of my car. :(

1,267 Posts
Re: UR Pulleys

96BlkSE-R said:
I have the 4-pulley set on my SE-R, and it helps the SR20 at ton. I can only imagine it would be the same for the GA16.

Just be prepared, the A/C might not blow quite as cold as before the pulley swap. Mine doesn't get as cold as fast as before, but it still works fine - unless I have to park in the blazing sun, then nothing will cool the interior of my car. :(
That would be my only complaint with my crank pulley. The AC doesn't cool as fast, but it still works enough for me down here in Charleston, which says a lot. As for driving, I can have the AC on full blast now, and I don't feel any lack of power as compared with it off, it's great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
greensentra said:
Has anyone here swaped their stock underdrive pulley to a unorthodox racing pulley? if so what difference did it make?
This is another step I'm thinking about to change in my sentra, if it's not so expensive. But anyway did it give the car more hp and does it feel better to drive with the a/c on.
Please post, thanks.
Bought it, installed it, love it!!!
The AC isn't quite as powerfull but it's a decent tradeoff. It just takes longer to cool the car. The car doesn't lag as much with the UR pulley installed. It takes a few days for the ECU to adjust to the change but it's worth it.:cool:

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
As for driving, I can have the AC on full blast now, and I don't feel any lack of power as compared with it off, it's great!
Really? Sweet deal! how much do they run? like including installation

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
can we get a group order goign for the unothodox racing pulley? if we can i would love to participate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Perhaps with the nissan engine ie: GA16DE being internally balanced it would not suffer the same fate like broken crankshafts and worn bearings.

Anyway, here's the link covering the same topic posted here:

http://www.contour.org/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004838;p=

...if you think $200 is worth it, go ahead...personally I don't right now. Unless Unorthodox Racing offered a 100% guarantee that it wouldn't damage anything I'd reconsider or if people from se-r.net, sentra.net or nissanperformancemag.com tested the pulley for months or a year and concluded there was no damage, then maybe I'd buy one.

So...is $200 worth the cost of 2-4HP or is the chance of $1000+ engine damage an incentive not to get one?

...I'm still undecided, but I can do without the extra power for now and spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You must not have read the article in which tests were done and showed that our engines are internally balanced. many 1.6 and 2.0 people have had them for years. if anything this is one of the safest, quietest and best-gains-in-the-midrange mods. UR is a quality company and superb customer service.

PS I have read cases with integras and miatas and some domestic models having engine problems after installing crank pulleys without harmonic balancer, but never saw a Nissan case or the one involving UR pulley.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't consider this to be an extremely difficult install, just time consuming as you have to remove parts and adjust others.

Before you start I would pick up a Haynes or Chiltons Repair Manual for your model car. I prefer Haynes...diagrams and descriptions are better.

Check out Nissan Performance Mag. where they did the install on both a Sentra B15 with a QG18DE engine and the 200SX which has the GA16DE motor like us. They have a step by step guide how to install the Unorthodox Racing Pulley.

B15 http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march02/qgpulley.shtml

200SX http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/january02/ur.shtml

Good Luck :cool:
Greg

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
"Underdriving works by reducing the speed at which the engines accessories turn by dropping the drive ratio in relationship to the crank. Power is increased by reducing friction. However, Unorthodox does not push the underdriving effect to keep the charging system, power steering, air conditioning, and water pump moving fast enough for the daily driven vehicle"

What exactly does that mean for me? I drive my car a lot everyday, will the steering be any different for the power steering? And is the charging system tied together with the battery and the alternator, and would that mean that the battery is easier to drain with my radio, amp and subs?

·
Shift_for_Brains
89 Posts
or does it mean that the UR underdrive pulley doesnt generate enough rpms to keep the various systems stable. Can someone call UR and get an opinion on this. I want to know that if I go out and get one that my car will still run efficiently and properly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts