Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 1987 Sentra with rot through in the usual places on the rear sections of the unibody fram rails by the rear tires. Anyone have any advice on how to repare / weld in fixes? I have a stick welder and am ready to burn stuff up.

Thanks,
Joel

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
What the hell is a stick welder??? I've done braze welding before with an oxy-acetylene torch and it wors pretty well.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stick welder

Stick welder is a synonym for arc welder.

I need to do some frame repair on my 1987, the unibody fram rails have rotted in the back.

common problem, thought someone might have fixed in the past could provide some advice.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Well I've never worked with an arc welder before but make sure you unplug your battery and alternator before you use it. If I was braze welding I would grind out all the bad metal and cut/shape new rails. Some gussets around weaker areas wouldn't hurt either.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the note,

I was figuring I would do something along those lines. I'll head out to the local steel supply place today and get some stock. The rails on the unibody are not very heavy gage steel, Should be fairly straight forward to get rot out, fabricate replacement pieces and weld into place. I'll pull the gas tank while I am at it. I had not thought about the battery though, good point, I don't want to short anything out.

Thanks,
Joel

PS> any tricks to pulling the tank I've done it one a toyota before, guessing it's fairly simple.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Don't have a clue about pulling the gas tank. Start another thread and see if anyone knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts