Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-

I drive to work this morning with my Sentra running great. It does burn a small amount of oil, nothing to turn any heads over though, but other than that, no known problems. Have had the car 13k+ miles and it hasn't done a thing to me.

I go to leave work to go on lunch. I start my car, and it sounds terrible! It was idling very hard, enough to shake the stick pretty hard! I looked at my muffler and it was shaking pretty bad too. I popped the hood, everything looked ok there, but I am no car genius.

So I drive home to get lunch (where I am now). I checked my oil level, its fine. I notice 2 dime sized holes in my muffler, and a 1.5'' crack in it (about to have my exhaust done anyway, its stock until I get paid tomorrow). I don't know much about exhaust problems, but is a cracked muffler with small holes enough to make the car idle so hard and erratic? It made a 'put put put' idle, not a smooth constant idle.

Any ideas? I don't want there to be any engine problems, and if there are, I don't want to drive back to work!

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Off the top of my head (I'm not engine guru either), it could be that the engine is lacking something... fluids, spark, or oxygen. When you said it idled hard, first thing I thought was clogged hose/clogged fuel filter/improperly gapped spark plug. BUT if it just came on all-of-a-sudden, I would rule out the plug. If you checked your oil and that seems to be fine, good. When you rev it up in neutral does it shudder? I don't think a poor muffler would cause a car to idle rough... at least not to what you are saying. Does it sound like the car is gonna die? Or is it just not smooth like normal? Give us an update on the condition of the rough idle so we can further assist you. Good luck,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

Drove back towork, although I didn't want to. But before I did, I popped the hood again, and notice the engine was vibratin a little more than what I thought it should. I do not know how or if it should move at all when idling, but it did.

Anywho, I pulled the throttle cable and it got worse. Again, I do not know how much these move, but it looked bad in my eyes.

It was a very erratic, and rough idle.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
This is going out on a limb but...

Did you just recently fill up with a tank of gas? Perhaps you got some poor quality fuel.

I wish I could see or hear the engine, because it is difficult to diagnose. Do you hear it pinging? Had the ecu been reset recently? Could any water from rain or car wash gotten into any electrical components like plugs, wires, cap, or rotor? Check the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. You don't have ODBII on your Classic so it's just the one oxygen sensor. Hopefully others will chime in and give their opinions...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, today has been a very fun day.

At first I thought it was a spark plug. It didn't sound like Cyl. 2 was firing (checked theplug), so I changed the plugs and wires with Nissan OEM ones. I hear they're the best for this Sentra anyway.
That didn't help.

Bought some fuel injector cleaner, it made it run a litte better, but nothing yet.

Still thinking/hoping...

I did consider the possibility of poor fuel, but why would it run fine on my way to work, and then all of sudden, run terribly?

I checked the compression in the cylinders and they were fine, so no worries there.

To describe the noise, it basically idles very hard and erratic, a sort of "duh duh duh duh" and it shaked the engine a lot. I'm not very good at describing it so.... I talked to a service rep at Nissan and they told me it could be a blown injector. he told me b13's were notorious for that. I said I'd wait... but I may just have to take it in to them if this keeps up. If anyone else has any ideas as to what I may try, please tell me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude! I am having the same exact problem with #2 not seeming to be firing! I have done the same exact thing, change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor look good, but still idling rough. when I pulled the #2 plug it was completely covered in carbon and smelling strong of gas so I'm betting the injector may be dumping fuel or something. I'm going to be checking the sensors tonight so I'll let you know if I find anything

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
Hey I had the same problem and I changed the fuel filter and plugs and all that and it did no good. So i changed the plug wires and its fine now, runs better. if its the original wires then change them. you should do that about every 65K miles. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts