Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Pathfinder has a high pitch whistle when the car stops and is sitting idle. It also is whining from the serpentine belt, but i think I have that one figured out. If you may have heard your own whistle, I'd appreciate knowing what you did to solve it. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've seen that problem before and usually is the idle control solenoid valve that is full of carbon, take it out and spray it with intake cleaner (the valve and the housing) and that should take care of your whistle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steveavant said:
I've seen that problem before and usually is the idle control solenoid valve that is full of carbon, take it out and spray it with intake cleaner (the valve and the housing) and that should take care of your whistle.
So I looked in my Haynes manual to see where the idle control solenoid valve is. The closest part that I can find is the fast idle control solenoid. I would guess this is what you mean, but it also said that the solenoid is energized when the air conditioning is activated. I haven't had the AC on yet this season. Is it likely that this is still the source of the whistle or is the source more likely in the idle air control valve nearby? If you happen to know I would be impressed. Heck, this is already a lot farther than I thought I would be after just one post. THANKS!
:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts