Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys call me a fob, a newbie, an idiot, or even a woman ( no plz not that one) lol kidding but i have an issue,
I have an automatic car and i dunno how to get it to neutral. i have driven manual b4 and i just pressed the clutch, now this automatic is not starting and i have to move it into my garage. do auto cars even go into neutral?? i really need an answer on this one. i try pressing the brake and shifting, but the damn thing does not move, and i dun wanna break it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You don't have to press the brake to shift an automatic. The shifter needs to be put in N. One spot below P and one spot above D. Be sure to push the button in on the shifter.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Um........... Actually... If all saftey devices are working, You have to have the key in the ON position (And battery power) and your foot on the brake.. And you have to push in the button on the shifter knob. If it still doesnt come out of park you may have a saftey switch bad... As long as it comes out of park you'll be able to roll it. It doesnt matter which gear your in... Auto's dont function without Hydraluic pressure... So as long as its not running you can roll it in any gear...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the problem, even when i put the key in and turn the key to the on position the car wont run caz it has a problem, so it just makes weired sounds and then i try to push the knob in and shift into neutral it does not work. well the mechanic is gonna have a look at what is wrong so i guess its not a problem moving it into the garage anymore, but i still would like to know the correct way to do it, i have many different answers here.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
salmany said:
thats the problem, even when i put the key in and turn the key to the on position the car wont run caz it has a problem, so it just makes weired sounds and then i try to push the knob in and shift into neutral it does not work. well the mechanic is gonna have a look at what is wrong so i guess its not a problem moving it into the garage anymore, but i still would like to know the correct way to do it, i have many different answers here.
you dont have to start the car just turn the key to the on position the steering should turn freely and not lock and just put foot on the break and push in the button and pull back. might have to rock the car some cause from what i heard something about a fork jamming into the tourqe converter and get stuck but thats jsut wut i read on another thread

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
If you need to move the car badly, use a shop jack (with wheels) lift one side of the front axle, with a lot of care & push the car inside the garage.

It'll work because the tranny break works just with both wheels on ground.

If you got a large jack & the moving distance is not huge, you can lift at the mid -bridge (under the engine) & again, with a lot of care, push to the garage, I've seing mechanics doing these many times.

·
Registered
116 Posts
there is also a switch override thing on the console side of the shifter. press it down and press the shift button and move to the N

1 - 8 of 8 Posts