Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 92 N/A out 2 nights ago and got about 1/4 mile from my house when the clutch stopped functioning. I turned around and on my drive back to my house i saw a trail of fluid that came from under my car. In the previous weeks i had noticed a great deal of slippage in the clutch. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
I took my 92 N/A out 2 nights ago and got about 1/4 mile from my house when the clutch stopped functioning. I turned around and on my drive back to my house i saw a trail of fluid that came from under my car. In the previous weeks i had noticed a great deal of slippage in the clutch. Any ideas?
I guess you have hydrolic clutch and you lost the fluid out of your clutch
master cylinder, usually located on the fire wall on the driver side. Check the fluid level and for leak, could also be a leak on your slave cylinder locate on the side of the transmission.

I hope this helps!
 

·
Power FC Z32
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
I took my 92 N/A out 2 nights ago and got about 1/4 mile from my house when the clutch stopped functioning. I turned around and on my drive back to my house i saw a trail of fluid that came from under my car. In the previous weeks i had noticed a great deal of slippage in the clutch. Any ideas?
Jack your Z up and see where it's leaking?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Clutch slippage, and losing the slave cylinder, might be 2 seperate incidents. Notice any loss of engine ol over the last few weeks?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
Losing the slave cylinder shouldn't have anything to do with slipping the clutch unless it stuck itself in the middle somewhere. Which is highly unlikely because it takes quite a bit of force to move the clutch fork. If your clutch stopped functioning I assume you mean it doesn't engauge (let you shift gears and stop without killing the engine) I would check all the clutch lines and the master and slave cylinder for leaking and faulty parts.
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts. I'm having the car towed to my mechanic today. I had it in the shop previously for the clutch slipping and they said that they needed to replace it and replace/resurface the flywheel. I'm having it taken to a second place for a new opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
Thanks for the posts. I'm having the car towed to my mechanic today. I had it in the shop previously for the clutch slipping and they said that they needed to replace it and replace/resurface the flywheel. I'm having it taken to a second place for a new opinion.
If you noticed that the clutch was slipping, AND you brought the car in to a shop because of a slipping clutch then why would you doubt that the shop thinks you need a new clutch :confused: .
I would take a guess that it was either the master or the slave cylinder for the clutch. Just take a look at the fluid level, if its almost all but gone then it can be either the master or the slave as mentioned earlier. Some can be rebuilt but I just do the lazy thing and buy a new one when they go bad. The bad news here is that a new clutch with labor and parts (including machine work) is not going to be cheap.....
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jer28 said:
If you noticed that the clutch was slipping, AND you brought the car in to a shop because of a slipping clutch then why would you doubt that the shop thinks you need a new clutch :confused: .
I would take a guess that it was either the master or the slave cylinder for the clutch. Just take a look at the fluid level, if its almost all but gone then it can be either the master or the slave as mentioned earlier. Some can be rebuilt but I just do the lazy thing and buy a new one when they go bad. The bad news here is that a new clutch with labor and parts (including machine work) is not going to be cheap.....
I hope its something thats going to be inexpensive, because this car has been a nightmare. If not i think i am just gonna have to push it off of a very tall object. The next Z i own is going to be looked over by a mechanic BEFORE i purchase the damn thing. :loser: <---me

Crossing my fingers while its in the shop.

Thanks for the opinions.
 

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
thecolonelcm said:
I hope its something thats going to be inexpensive, because this car has been a nightmare. If not i think i am just gonna have to push it off of a very tall object. The next Z i own is going to be looked over by a mechanic BEFORE i purchase the damn thing. :loser: <---me

Crossing my fingers while its in the shop.

Thanks for the opinions.
it will cost u money no matter what, a mechanic can't tell u everything, my cars in the shop right now, i took it in for a new steering rack, and i'm getting a new clutch and tranny
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SanMarcosZfreak said:
it will cost u money no matter what, a mechanic can't tell u everything, my cars in the shop right now, i took it in for a new steering rack, and i'm getting a new clutch and tranny
I'm glad i took it to a different shop. The first place quoted me over a G just to fix the clutch. The clutch was fine. It was the master cylander. That was replaced. The fluid that i saw on the ground was actually power steering fluid. (which makes sense because when i would turn the car on, for the first 10 minutes of it running, if i turned the wheel, the car would groan really loud.) So anyways. 700 bucks to fix the MC and the PS. Not too bad. But i'm sellin the Z anyways. Too much of a hassle. I bought a 200sx and i'm gonna rock that until i can do it right and buy a Twin Turbo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
700 bucks to fix the master cylinder and the power steering.....


I think I replaced my whole system (MC and SC) besides the lines for under 75...
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
700 bucks to fix the master cylinder and the power steering..... I think I replaced my whole system (MC and SC) besides the lines for under 75...
well ill tell you what, next time i need a repair done, ill PM you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top