Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just purchased (well, a few months ago) an 05 Altima. (I couldn't afford the SE-R that I wanted or even the 3.5 S) I have to admit that I love the car, only things I didn't like... the factory stereo oof course, so I installed an Alpine (looks great), IPod cd-changer kit, a pair of Alpine Type R 6x9's and Rockford Fosgate 6.5's. Sounds great, looks great, and the last thing that I want to change is the color in the dash. That orange is so ugly to me, I would rather have just white, or even blue. Does anyone know (before I take apart the driving console) if it is siply a matter of taking apart the console and replacing a bulb, or is it a little more complicated? Is it an LED or a standard light bulb. Any answers would be great, I love working on that thing... and I feel secure in knowing that if anyone wanted to steal my stereo or speakers (even if I forgot to set the alarm) they would have to literally take the car apart to get at all of that stuff. =) Anyway, any help that anyone could give me would be great! Thanks....

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, thanks for the lack of responses... again, I did it on my own. Should anyone else decide that they want to change the color of the gauges on their altima, let me save you the trouble... you cannot unless you order a special order piece. The gauges are not colored by a light, rather, the black filme that you see has an orange plastic thing, that's why it is orange. I am going to just see if I can order the sports gauge or something....

· Registered
1 Posts
Well, thanks for the lack of responses... again, I did it on my own. Should anyone else decide that they want to change the color of the gauges on their altima, let me save you the trouble... you cannot unless you order a special order piece. The gauges are not colored by a light, rather, the black filme that you see has an orange plastic thing, that's why it is orange. I am going to just see if I can order the sports gauge or something....
Can you please tell us exactly what you did to change the ugly orange color? I just bought a 2017 and did not know about the orange colored dash until it got dark and I turned the lights on! Would REALLY appreciate any reply! Thanks my friend! Dan [email protected]

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Can you please tell us exactly what you did to change the ugly orange color? I just bought a 2017 and did not know about the orange colored dash until it got dark and I turned the lights on! Would REALLY appreciate any reply!
Every Nissan cluster since about '02 (except the newest TFT dashes) has backlighting from LED's soldered to the cluster circuit board. They can only be changed by disassembling the cluster, desoldering the LED's from the mainboard, and replacing them with different color LED's of the same type and luminosity. That's doable, but a very complicated exercise requiring extensive soldering skills and knowledge to identify and source the correct LED's. The only model I recall which had two different colors available was the gen7 Maxima ('09~'14), which came with white or orange backlighting depending on the trim level. On those cars the clusters can generally be swapped, since the wiring for the two types was identical. For any other model, you're pretty much stuck with what you have. Swapping the cluster for aftermarket isn't an option because all late model Nissan clusters get their speed, temperature, and most other information from the CANbus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts