Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be doing some work and pulling transfer case. While I’m at it I want to change all 4 u-joints. Have play in them.

If anyone has changed them, what’s the best aftermarket ones to put in of good quality that will last?

Preferably non greaseable. But are greaseable ones better?

Original Nissans are running close to 450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,069 Posts
Nissan typically uses Dana~Spicer, non-greaseable, U-joints. Personally, I prefer greaseable because then you can service them and keep them from going dry and rusting out. I usually go with either Dana~Spicer or Moog HD U-joints.
For the front shaft, I would go with two of Dana 53218X (greaseable) or Moog 446 (non-greaseable).
For the rear shaft, I would go with two of Moog 280 (greaseable) or Moog 269 (non-greaseable).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nissan typically uses Dana~Spicer, non-greaseable, U-joints. Personally, I prefer greaseable because then you can service them and keep them from going dry and rusting out. I usually go with either Dana~Spicer or Moog HD U-joints.
For the front shaft, I would go with two of Dana 53218X (greaseable) or Moog 446 (non-greaseable).
For the rear shaft, I would go with two of Moog 280 (greaseable) or Moog 269 (non-greaseable).
Thanks smj999smj, the reason I asked about aftermarket, is that I heard they can cause vibration above 60mph? Have you encountered that?

Also, I believe it is inner locking rings on the original u-joints. The recommendations you gave me for the front u-joints uses and supplies the inner locking rings. However, the 280 and 269 for the rear driveshaft is using outer locking rings.

Now is the outer locking ring compatible with this driveshaft?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
my 2003 4 x 4 had rear drive shaft joints that were grease-able

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going with greaseable for all four U-joints.

What I was asking about are the inner vs outer clip style. My original U-joints are inner clip style.

Can outer clip style be used? Or stick to the ones that use inner clips?

·
10,069 Posts
I’m going with greaseable for all four U-joints.

What I was asking about are the inner vs outer clip style. My original U-joints are inner clip style.

Can outer clip style be used? Or stick to the ones that use inner clips?

Stick with the clip style of your original joints. I haven't had any issues with vibrations from Moog nor Dana-Spicer U-joints.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stick with the clip style of your original joints. I haven't had any issues with vibrations from Moog nor Dana-Spicer U-joints.
So I installed the new spicer ujoints. Shop did it while changing the transfer case seals.

I’m feeling a thud like sensation when pulling off or when I brake hard and the vehicle settles down after the nose dive effect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the shop damaged the driveshaft. They are going to replace. Should I go with a new complete driveshaft by Doorman?

Or a used Nissan driveshaft from the junkyard??

·
10,069 Posts
If one's available from Dorman and they're paying for it, go with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts