Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a little about cars but not enough. First, I live in Miami where it rains and floods ALOT. I am afraid if I buy a CAI, i might damage my engine. Is there anything i do to get the performance of a CAI without having the filter so close to the ground.
Second, a few of my friends have bought universal mufflers and taken them to muffler shops to get custom piping(which has greater diameter) and put their old cats. will that give u more horsepower than a more expensive, name brand cat back.
I would really apreciate opinions and comments.
thank you

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have this same concern as I live in Oregon, we get a little rain up here! Will a water-bypass work to keep water from being where it isnt? And do any of the CAIs come with a water bypass (if thats the answer) or is that an after the fact product?

Also, does anybody know of a good hi-flow cat for the Spec V? I am pretty new to the car thing to and am not sure if any generic one will work or if one is better than another.

Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
first the easy one... Catco make a highflow cat with your choice of pipe sizes, and you can have it welded in. You need to check where the cats are on the spec v, i havent even looked myself.

CAI- the bypass valve works very well, you just have to be aware of water on the road, should you end up in deep water you need to just get off the road. I have no bypass in my integra and therefore when the water starts to puddle that car cant be driven.

Custome exhausts have been a topic in here a few times, yes they do get you horsepower, how much you cant tell unless you dyno the car. Most muffler shops have some idea of how a highflow exhaust is suposed to work, so they should steer you in the right direction. If not get a proven kit, like the ones mentioned in my topic "exhaust".

·
Registered
369 Posts
cats and cai

first the spec v only has two cats one in the header and one under the car where the midpipe is connected. the second cat is hollow so replacing it may not give you any gain at all but most likley will make you polute more. sencond cai you will not have a problem with your cai unless you drive through a 1-2ft standing puddle if you think this is going to be a problem get a bypass valve or a short ram intake. I have a cai on my car and I drive in the rain all the time.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts