Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a noob so if this has been answered before please direct me to the post.

I'm new to Pathfinders. Have owned my `01 SE 3.5L for just over a month.

I noticed is has 2 mufflers. One huge one mounted in the middle, and one slightly smaller mounted up behind the right rear quarter panel.

Why??? Is it that loud without 'em.

Just wondering.

Any perfomance gain/loss if I remove the second muff and just go with a pipe all the way out from the larger muffler???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I don't have one and do not see what your looking at but I am thinking the one in the middle is the CAT not a muffler. If this is the case I wouldn't take the second one off, the first one is just for pollution purposes and the second is the nosie reduction unit. Good luck
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
One is a muffler, one is a resonator, to reduce resonant noise inside the vehicle. It's just to make it quieter.
 

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
Joined
·
445 Posts
01PthFndrSE said:
Any perfomance gain/loss if I remove the second muff and just go with a pipe all the way out from the larger muffler???
you'd have to remove everything and leave nothing but straight pipe for a performance advantage, but the noise of a 'put put' car is not worth the marginal performance increase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
Little Red Riding Hood: "Oh, what big mufflers you have, Grandma!"

Big Bad Wolf: "All the better to silence you with, my dear."

Lew
[Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I guess the devil made me do it.]
 

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
Joined
·
445 Posts
lshadoff said:
Little Red Riding Hood: "Oh, what big mufflers you have, Grandma!"

Big Bad Wolf: "All the better to silence you with, my dear."

Lew
[Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I guess the devil made me do it.]
lol nice fairytell reply :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
88pathoffroad said:
One is a muffler, one is a resonator, to reduce resonant noise inside the vehicle. It's just to make it quieter.
OK, that makes sense.

It didn't look anything like at cat. converter.

I was just glancing when I noticed it.

Thanks everyone for the replies...and the fairy tale. I can share that with my son.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top