Nissan Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Consult

sunnysentra said:
Have you tried a good ECU yet? This may be all of your problems. What you should have done first was to put the ECU in self Diagnostic mode and look at the flashes. The diag mode will tell you codes. Don't throw the motor out!! There is nothing wrong with it. The ECU will diagnose the issue. Borrow a Nissan Consult and use that to diagnose your issue. If you checked for spark, take a plug on the end of the plug wire #1 and ground it to the motor. Look for a blue bright spark. If fouled badly with gasoline smell, then you have a spark issue also.

If you need an Automatic ECU for a 92 1.6, I have one.

Chris 92 classic
I did do the ECU check. I really do not know many mechanics who might have a Consult to borrow. Have any suggestions?

Thanks for your input,

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Turns over but won't start follow up

Ok, folks. Still no go. Here's a quick run down of the previous a changes and attempts on my 93 Sentra GA16DE. Obviously it won't start. I can smell fuel in the cylinders and hear the pumps running 5 sec. with ignition on. New distributor, cap, and rotor. ECU showed code 13. (engine coolant sensor), it was bad and I replaced yesterday. New plugs and wires. No bad codes out of ECU now. I tried the oil in the cylinders. you can tell a difference while cranking but still no start. Some white smoke out the tail pipe though. Also, tried flooring the pedal while cranking with and with out fuel pump fuse in. To me it sounds like it wants to work when I pull the fuel pump fuse. could be me. Well that's about it. I am truly lost. I'm going to start all over again I guess. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
reply to spark

Slacky said:
does it have a ignitor chip? some last resort sensor and u said u changed all plugs and wires but.. do u have a spark?
I got spark. I have fuel. It seems now I have compression,,,,,,,No Start,,,,,,,,
sending it to a new, New friend tomorrow if it works out, that has the hook up , for the check up from the neck up. we shall see. I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Steve

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
Have you checked every fuse and fusible link? If not, take the time to do so.

· Registered
24 Posts
curious here. how did the car go about dying? Was it being driven and just konked out? If so, mine did the same thing. I was at a light and the car just stalled out and wouldn't start back up. I thought it was the battery, and we replaced it with a new one, and it cranked, but didnt start, so we took it to the shop. They looked at it the next day and it started fine. I got the car back later that day and it died on me again. They picked it up and brought it back to the shop, once again, it started fine the next day. I go to pick it up, and it won't start for me. It cranks, but won't fire over. And it was working fine earlier that week. What do you guys think it is? It sounds like a very similar problem to what you are having Nolan.

· Registered
316 Posts
I am wondering about the condition of the timing chain. Is it possible the chain jumped some teeth and took out some valves? I hope this isn't it though...I realize that it did not die on you so you don't have all the details about how it died.
Oh you said you have compression...Did you use a comp gauge or just your finger over the spark plug hole?

· Registered
251 Posts
should have used ngk plugs and stock wires, the bosch will add to your problems. espically when trying to diagnose a car, you need to eliminate variables. what is your fuel pressure? you know your pump is priming but do you know what pressure your injectors are seeing? ect definatly can cause starting issues, it will cause the car to flood. maybe you should take it to a good shop instead of buying a motor. that probably won't help you either because you would have to install it and hope all the sensors worked on the junkyard motor or swap them from this motor and would still be stuck with the same problem. start with ngk plugs & stock, sti or ngk wires and a new ect, all pretty cheap and obviously the ect should be replaced anyway and imo the plugs & wires also. go from there if you don't to bring it somewhere. then post back.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
ect.

sersr20dk said:
should have used ngk plugs and stock wires, the bosch will add to your problems. espically when trying to diagnose a car, you need to eliminate variables. what is your fuel pressure? you know your pump is priming but do you know what pressure your injectors are seeing? ect definatly can cause starting issues, it will cause the car to flood. maybe you should take it to a good shop instead of buying a motor. that probably won't help you either because you would have to install it and hope all the sensors worked on the junkyard motor or swap them from this motor and would still be stuck with the same problem. start with ngk plugs & stock, sti or ngk wires and a new ect, all pretty cheap and obviously the ect should be replaced anyway and imo the plugs & wires also. go from there if you don't to bring it somewhere. then post back.
What is ...ect? Forgive my long Email, chat, computer experience, but "ect" does not register. Do you mean a new ECM, or Electronic Control Module?

Thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
the MAF has to be connected for the car to run, I had an altima with basically the same symptoms and the maf was loose, took it apart cleaned it, reconnected it, and no problems. seems like you tried everything on the fuel and spark side, now work with stuff having to deal with the air

· Registered
1,018 Posts
I am going to say spark. put a plug on the end of a boot pull the others off, take electrode onto the engine block ground and look for a bright blu spark, if not there you go, a weak spark will not turn the motor over.
1. Run ECU in self diagnostic mode, turn screw on ECU side to diag mode.
2 Spark, plugs saturated with gas, black and fouled? no spark, coil
3 Fuel pump churning? should hear click on fuel rail. if not, replace pump.
4 MAF or TPS not plugged in. Check harness pins and wires, mine pulled out and did not allow engine to start. Look carefully at wires, pull back tape look at each wire.

5. Something may be disconnected, check all plug harnesses. Battery ground OK? Chekc grounds for corrosion on body attach points.

Ask A nissan guy at dealer what you have done and what it could be, see if you can borrow a Nissan CONSULT. My uncle has one, so I have access to one if I need them.

Chris 92 classic

· Registered
251 Posts
maf does not need to be connected for the car to run, if you unplug it completely, it will run in safe mode( won't rev higher than 3000rpms), but will still start. ect= engine coolant temp sensor. start with the engine coolant temp sensor & the right plugs & wires. your computer is pointing you to the direction(ect) and you seem not to want to pursue it, and trust me about the plugs & wires. no nissan dealership is going to let him borrow that scanner, unless he knows someone very very well.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Won't Start Follow up and Thank you all!

Well, I finally just got tired of messsing with this 1.6 liter and found someone with a diagnostics that would check it for free. I had it towed there. He called back yesterday having the car for about 3 hours. Turns out the coolant was very, very low. so he filled up with water. While he was cranking the engine he noticed that water was SHOOTING OUT over the front end . With further inspection he realized my worst fears. Warped head and cracked block. I guess the young man I loaned the car to had not noticed the water pouring out of the failed water pump and ran the engine to failure. SO with that said, I would like to send all of you whom gave your help and suggestions, a Huge THANKS! It was much appreciated, and I learned alot.
It is off to find an engine. If anyone has suggestions on upgrading or Ideas, of course a pre thank you is needed. Thanks again.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.