Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93' Sentra w/GA16DE. I loaned to a young man for a couple of days. when he showed up in another car to explain that it died and would not start. Towed back to my garage. I got the haynes book out and I have a subscription to ALLDATa.com for the car. The young man burned the starter so that was the first step. Crank-NO STart! So I used normal trouble shooting methods. Fuel Pump Working. I can hear it. Got the volt/ohm meter out and checked the specs on the coil, and they were right on. opened distributor cap, OMG center element fried and gone plus all four points burned. So I replaced with new cap and rotor. Checked for proper TDC matching contact for piston one. Right on. Crank pulley 2nd notch at pointer and rotor right on #1. When I crank it over it seems to try to stumble but won't start. I am getting spark at all four Cylinders. I thought maybe the The Crank Angle Sensor was bad, so once again the volt/Ohm Meter, and it checks out fine. One last thing. I noticed today after cranking over and over for about 4-5 minuted the the manifold coming from #1 and #2 Cylinders was slightly Warm, while the Right for #3 and #4 was cold. I am going crazy with this thing. If anyone could help I would be eternally indebted too U.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns over but will Not Start"Follow UP" Still No where

oK GUYS, REALLY CONFUSED NOW. First I replaced the fuel filter. not much help. checked the resistance on Injectors. Normal. So i replaced the PLugs and wires, BOSCH Platinums 2's and Bosch wires. At this point you could tell that the pistons seemed to be firing some and sounded better , but still no go. So Tavel, I took the plugs out and and put some oil in there. closed it all back up and to my great surprise. The closest yet. you could definitely tell compression and combustion. Some smoke and such coming out of the tail pipe and all. This is the best I have gotten in over two weeks. But still it will not take off and run. as I kept trying with MAF unconnected and I tried some starter fluid into the throttle still no difference. In fact the more i cranked, the less combustion I got. I finally gave up this evening. mind and body too tired to go on. ANyhow I AM LOST!!!!! I can get an engine from the junkyard for $300.00, and I am considering it. But I cannot stand to give up on things like this. It's a mission to beat this thing.....

P.S. Also I put a new distributor on as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU COde 13

I have also been getting a 13 code from the ECU, which would be the engine coolant sensor. I would not think that that would keep the engine from starting would it..???????

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have read www.sentra.net.The Bosch spark plugs are no good at all.Every experts here all would suggest don't use any Bosch spark plugs or wires,but using NGK(OEM Nissan)spark plugs and wires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sensor

Nostrodomas said:
Yes it would. Try replacing it see that helps you. First try getting one at a junk yard.
This is my next step. I still have a hard time believing that it would prevent start, but what the hell. I could have bought another engine by now. Not giving up,,,,yet... I will beat this damn thing!!!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bosch

joeli16 said:
I have read www.sentra.net.The Bosch spark plugs are no good at all.Every experts here all would suggest don't use any Bosch spark plugs or wires,but using NGK(OEM Nissan)spark plugs and wires.
I appreciate your opinion. I ran NGK's for years then suddenly a few years ago I had 2 sets foul out very quickly. I have ran on Bosch since. 200k+ miles and running fine until this incident. I see no reason to change.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
nolan64 said:
. as I kept trying with MAF unconnected
It won't run with the MAF disconnected. my one friends car wouldn't start. we were just check a few things and I said "hope it ain't the MAF sensor cuz they're expensive" and he looked and it was disconnected. Reconnected it and she fired right up.

Mitch

·
Registered
78 Posts
nolan64 said:
I have also been getting a 13 code from the ECU, which would be the engine coolant sensor. I would not think that that would keep the engine from starting would it..???????
I Agree, yes it would. If it's off, then you are hosing down your cylinders with gas because the computer goes waaaay rich when it's bad. Make sure both cams rotate when you try to start it. Look through thge oil filler cap at the back cam, and pull the distro cap off and make sure the rotor spins when you hit the starter.

Maybe take off the upper timing cover and make sure the cams and the idler are timed correctly. Good Luck, mine still runs like crap after 3 weeks and about $1000 worth of parts.

Oh, might as well check the IAC valve, that helped mine quite a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1995 Sentra. I was ready to give up, I took out the fuel pump fuse and cranked it up and it started, apparently it was flooding. I also noticed that it takes much longer for the heater to warm-up.
so it might be the thermostat-teperature sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been there N dunnit

SoCalB14 said:
I Agree, yes it would. If it's off, then you are hosing down your cylinders with gas because the computer goes waaaay rich when it's bad. Make sure both cams rotate when you try to start it. Look through thge oil filler cap at the back cam, and pull the distro cap off and make sure the rotor spins when you hit the starter.

Maybe take off the upper timing cover and make sure the cams and the idler are timed correctly. Good Luck, mine still runs like crap after 3 weeks and about $1000 worth of parts.

Oh, might as well check the IAC valve, that helped mine quite a bit.
Been there and Done it on the Cams, Rotor... New distributor, plugs, fuel pump, and wires.....O.......K........

IAC valve not yet....Don't know what that has to do with the ignition,,, but I will try...Desperate.....

News to follow, Thanks,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up

Ok, folks. Still no go. Here's a quick run down of the previous a changes and attempts on my 93 Sentra GA16DE. Obviously it won't start. I can smell fuel in the cylinders and hear the pumps running 5 sec. with ignition on. New distributor, cap, and rotor. ECU showed code 13. (engine coolant sensor), it was bad and I replaced yesterday. New plugs and wires. No bad codes out of ECU now. I tried the oil in the cylinders. you can tell a difference while cranking but still no start. Some white smoke out the tail pipe though. Also, tried flooring the pedal while cranking with and with out fuel pump fuse in. To me it sounds like it wants to work when I pull the fuel pump fuse. could be me. Well that's about it. I am truly lost. I'm going to start all over again I guess. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts