Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
A weird issue with my 1995 Pathfinder XE.
When I shut the vehicle off, one headlight remains on, (and eventually drains the battery as I found out this morning!) Nothing else electrically seems to be problematic.
Any ideas from anyone as to where the problem may be?
Any direction really appreciated. I am confused as to where to start.
Thanks,
Bill Juniper.
Gainesville, Fl.

·
3,553 Posts
Headlight switch is shot. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
did it work?

I have the same problem - 95 PF XE - did replacing the headlight switch work? If so, how tough was the repair and how much $ ?

thanks for any help!

greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct! Bad headlight switch. Thanks,Bill.

Headlight switch was the problem, however I did not replace the switch. Very easy to remove the switch. Remove 4 screws holding steering column cover, and then switch is mounted with too screws. I found however, where the wire connector goes into the switch there are 2 mounting screws, one of which was shorting out the light. Removed the screws entirely and taped the unit back together with electrical tape. Whole process took all of 30 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver.
I don't know how much to replace the switch.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight switch was the problem, however I did not replace the switch. Very easy to remove the switch. Remove 4 screws holding steering column cover, and then switch is mounted with too screws. I found however, where the wire connector goes into the switch there are 2 mounting screws, one of which was shorting out the light. Removed the screws entirely and taped the unit back together with electrical tape. Whole process took all of 30 minutes with a Phillips screwdriver.
I don't know how much to replace the switch.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bill.
Hi Bill and Thanks! I did take it apart and did seem some discoloration/scorching on the switch. Are the 2 screws the ones on the back of the switch? (translucent plastic) The cost of the switch at dealer is $75 so if I can repair it I will! Thanks again for the help, and have a great day!
greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad headlight switch.

Greg,
You got it. One of those two brass coloured screws that hold the translucent cover on the back, (covering the piano key like copper finger contacts) was the problem I had. With mine I could connect the headlight switch to the wiring harness, (while the switch was removed from the column), tighten the screws a little and, bingo, the headlight would energize, back the screw out a little and, bingo, headlight would go out. I ended up removing the screws entirely and securing the translucent cover with some electrical tape, and then reassembling.
No problems since then.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts