i believe hot shot has one.

i can get u one if you like.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
d_ander88 said:
Can I get a turbo for the SE-R...It is a 1995 200sx ser

If so were is the best place?
F-Max is clearly the best turbo kit on the market, mid 300hp on a bone stock engine is posible.

Mike

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
I know HS has one. Search the board and you will find more.

Also, you could always do an engine swap to the sr20det. Could be cheaper and less of a hassle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No offence man but do a little research. GO to se-r.net and search here on the forum. Hey ya know maybe the "TURBO" forum might be a good place to start. :rolleyes:

N

·
0 Posts
Yes do sopme research..... I am not trying to knock you but read up on slapping a turbo on first... sr20 motors might be the prefect platform to turbo but do your research and know what you want before buying anything.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
No offense by the following comment but I'm getting kind of tired of people thinking they simply go to Pep Boys and slap a turbo on their car. If you are really serious about the turbo thing, please do the research and understand what you are getting into as far as time, money, and headache. A forced induction engine is VERY different from a NA engine, you will not be simply undoing some screws and magically have a working turbo 20 minutes later. If people really want a turbo that bad and don't want the hassel of all the technical garbage that goes along w/ it, please go buy a Eclipse GS-T, 300Z, or something similar.

Sorry...just something I needed to get off my chest. I'm not directing this towards anyone in particular.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah. I mean people see turbo kits in a magazine and on the internet and see that it's just a few pipes, injectors, and the turbo. Beeep, wrong. To be hoenst, I think it's harder to tune a car that just got turboe'd than to actually swap in the turbo! It's beyond a lot of peoples imagination to put it on, but to tune it...damn!

Zeno - I can get a turbo at Pep Boys?!?! :D

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
zeno said:
No offense by the following comment but I'm getting kind of tired of people thinking they simply go to Pep Boys and slap a turbo on their car. If you are really serious about the turbo thing, please do the research and understand what you are getting into as far as time, money, and headache
Amen...

·
Smth Crmnl,not therapist
852 Posts
One more thing guys, a little side note about the hot shot sr20de turbo kit (I believe I told you this, LIUSPEED.) When I had talked to Martha at the Mossy show, she told me that they had discontinued the 2.0 kit because they had only sold 3 in 2 years. I belive now they only sell the "starter kits" for going turbo and ask you to get the rest of the parts yourself. That's what I inquired at mossy, nad if someone can prove me wrong, the better for all. Until that, I guess we have to go with that fact. Thanx guys, take care, and much luv.

·
Registered
30 Posts
zeno said:
No offense by the following comment but I'm getting kind of tired of people thinking they simply go to Pep Boys and slap a turbo on their car. If you are really serious about the turbo thing, please do the research and understand what you are getting into as far as time, money, and headache. A forced induction engine is VERY different from a NA engine, you will not be simply undoing some screws and magically have a working turbo 20 minutes later. If people really want a turbo that bad and don't want the hassel of all the technical garbage that goes along w/ it, please go buy a Eclipse GS-T, 300Z, or something similar.

Sorry...just something I needed to get off my chest. I'm not directing this towards anyone in particular.
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was this fuckin guy at work (nascar fan) who asked me. "I want to make my car faster can i just slap a turbo on" I almost punched him. WTF you see Fast and Furious and your a turbo expert.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JWT just released a turbo kit for the sr20 engines recently, like past 6 months or so. It's a complete kit that (supposedly) puts the same turbo as the japan spec sr20's in it. I'm not going to look it up but from what I remember it comes with everything, manifold, turbo, ecu (with core charge I'm sure), pistons, rods and everything else but excludes a blowoff valve, intercooler and the other 'upgrade' type parts that most factory turbo engines also don't come with but those are addable later on (it uses factory injectors...that I remember cause I thought it was unique for this kind of upgrade). I've read a few reviews of it and they've claimed it's the easiest turbo kit to install for the sr20 and requires very little tuning which is where the bulk of the expertise comes into play thanks to the pre-tuned ECU. That doesn't mean you can just 'slap it in and it works' but means you don't have to measure, cut pipes, move hoses, cut and weld mounts and so on as it was designed to work in the stock engine bay and uses the mounts on the block as is (biggest pain in the arse would appear to be replacing the pistons and rods with the lower compression ones from the kit). I'm in no way a turbo expert so I'm sure I'm missing one or two other annoying things as well as the 'unexpected' that tends to happen with these kinds of upgrades. Seems to me though that the kit was like $4000-$5000 US dollars, may be cheaper as that was a while back so all that 'ease of install' isn't cheap.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I'd like to shove my steel toed boot up Hotshot's ass. Even at $3K their turbo is a damn ripoff. First of all, it's not like Turbo's are a one size fits all bolt on that Joe Jackass can slap onto his car after mommy foots the bill for it. There are so many different combinations of turbos that can be made because they spool up at different rates and require different amounts of exhaust pressure to operate efficiently. It depends when/where you need/want to make more power. If you want more bottom end, then you need a turbo that spools up earlier, but it's not like throwing a light switch, it's not going to make power for you on the top end. If you want top end, you need a turbo that spools up later. So you want both, so you need to do a twin turbo setup, with sequential recirculation valves and setting up a twin turbo isn't as easy as, I need turbo A for low end and turbo B for top end, because turbo A will still be spinning when turbo B is starting to spool up and effects how turbo B operates. Also, a person looking to go turbo needs to take into account the compression they already have. There's a reason that OEM turbo equipped SR20DET's don't have the same compression as non turbo equipped SR20DE's. You can buy brand new turbo's in various configurations for under $2K, and you can likely build one the same as or better than Hotshot's. Turbo's are not simple bolt ons, they are so simple, yet very complicated to get right. Turbo's aren't expensive because of markup, they're expensive because it takes a lot of engineering to design them. If it were simple, then the ever popular discussion piece, the "electric supercharger" would work just fine. Most of us know that it does not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok Tool, you just gave me a headache lol. I leave this forum for a month and so much hostility is brewing! :p Nice to see you guys from the sr20 forum as well, JD and Tool.

I know I am going turbo, and I have had to look at a lot of write-ups on the internet, as well as spending a couple hours theorizing and speculating on turbo with my friends who actually have turbo'ed cars. Take your time, read up, learn, then decide what is the best route for you. BTW, I thought a twin setup wouldn't work in a B14 engine bay?

Ju§tin

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I don't want D_ander88 to think this is all directed towards him because I don't think that's the case. It's a general frustration with what Turbo seems to indicate to the general populace. And for all we know, D_ander88 has owned 4 turboed cars in his lifetime, and he's merely inquiring about a turbo for his car. I'd rather D_ ander88 take this all the wrong way and feel like people on this board are a bunch of assholes, than for him to have an unrealistic idea of what it takes to turbocharge his car, or for him to spend a penny on it only to find out it wasn't what he wanted/needed. I barely know anything about Turbos, but I know enough that I have an idea of the process I need to go through when pursuing one, and what questions I want to ask. I plan to do a DET swap and later on upgrade the T25 to something else, but I want streetable power, which not only means that I can drive it on the street without needling a left knee replacement in 5 years, but that I don't have to damn near redline before the turbo makes any boost. But most important of all is reliability. Sure, it might be cool to have a 500WHP SE-R but if the thing shakes rattles and rolls like a drag car, and I have to worry about needing a tow if I mash the gas one time and something breaks, no thank you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would personally recommend the FMAX kits. Even though they are pricey, they are complete. There is no headaches with their kits. There are a couple FMAX'd STGII 200sx SE-R's running around Phoenix, one was my brothers and the other my good friends. Both are just standard FMAX STGII cars and both have put down over 300WHP @ 17psi. One has run 12.5 on slicks and the other has run 13.1 on street tires. Both cars run and idle very well and have also passed emissions here in Phoenix with the kits on.

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
IMO, unless you are a mechanical guru, love to tinker w/ cars, and/or have a lot of money, I believe no2 makes a hell of a lot more sense. Sure, I would love a turbo as much as the next guy, but I live in the reality that I drive a little NA car. If you are looking for a big jump in hp, no2 is a hell of a lot cheaper, much less of a hassle to tune, and much, much, much easier to install. I live by the principle that if I really wanted a turbo, I would of bought a car w/ a stock turbo. Unfortunately, at this point in my life $ is an issue. Maybe someday I'll own my turbo Supra or 300Z :(

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
toolapcfan said:
You can buy brand new turbo's in various configurations for under $2K, and you can likely build one the same as or better than Hotshot's.
Not likely for $2k. You might almost have a turbo that almost runs for that much.

Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually, you can get the whole kit (Including top mount IC and piping) for $1000. Add the JWT 3bar ecu for 600, and you have an entire kit for $1600+possible shipping. If you still have your stock exhaust you are going to want to upgrade that to a 3'', and that will run you between $200-300 depending on what grade muffler you get. I am doing this currently, with the exception of a FMIC instead of TM.

Ju§tin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts