Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I saw a forum relateing to a proper turbo upgrade and I cant seems to find it since I only know one keyword turbo/upgrade and I am getting a bunch of other stuff...

first off here the kit I am thinking of getting it is my first time and want to make sure I do it right and not cheap.

Turbo Specialties Turbo Kits for Nissan - Superior and Extreme Turbo Kit for Maxima Sentra

I want the extreame kit I sure do hopes it comes with everything I need to run a small boost between 6-8psi from what i read that will be good for the car if useing stock injectors and fuel pump I will upgrade the fuel pump later the kit says it come withs injectors sounds nice looks like it comes with everything is there anything eles i need to consider befor I bolt it on and be stuck on the freeway again -_- ....

one thing to get straight what size exuast system i need i heard 3in piping and i saw that 2in or 2.25 if going for more boost I dont think I will be asking my car to perform miricals and increase the boost not after i get use to it...

i dont mind reading forums you can send me links to forums or other place i beleaive one of them was beyoundbiscuit ? nice car by the way lol

oh im getting a stage 3 clutch 6 plucks i beleiave that will be good? Ty

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
the tsi kit comes with a T20 set at 6psi, and it can't really push more than that. the kit doesn't come with injectors. what it comes with is an injector control unit and two 330 cc injectors on a special plate that mounts inbetween the throttle body and the intake plenum. you use the injector control unit to adjust how much extra fuel these two injectors push into the system. its kinda like having TBI and MPFI in one. simply enough, it changes the total injector size to 1416ccs, which is quite adequate. it comes with full instructions of how to tune the control unit, and it also comes with a list of the best settings using just the base setup as they send it to you.

as for the stock fuel pump, if you're just using the the T20 with the set parameters, then the stock pump is fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you so in order for me to get more psi I whould need a bigger turbo ? Jw how much of an averaged HP will I gain will it be worth it? Thats make sense with the injectors I am glad you point that out i whould had been out of my mind if I only saw two lol

what about the exuast I saw a bunch that are 2.5in is that to big ?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
the TSI kit is good for probably around a 40-50% power gain. i'd say more like 50% since you're going with the extreme kit.

if you're going turbo, you should go with a 2.5" turbo back exhaust. if it were NA, 2.5 is too big, but you want bigger for boost.

if you want to go with a bigger turbo the best bet would be to order the extreme kit directly from turbo specialties (turbo specialties) but before you do, email them saying you would like to order the GA16DE extreme kit with a T25BB turbo, instead of the T20. they will sell this for $2700. only an extra $300 for a much more potent, and still a very quick spooling turbo.

with the bigger turbo you will need bigger injectors and a different MAF sensor and an ECU tune. best would be an SR20DE MAF sensor, 370cc injectors, and a JWT ecu tune. you have to send your ECU to JWT and for $600 you tell them what you are running (turbo size, injector size, and amount of boost). they then tune it to best possible specs. with that i would use the S-AFCII that comes with the kit instead of the injector control unit, meaning you would still run 4 injectors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much since I do have a semi tight budget and dont have much time on my hand I will just go the kit the top end one and not have to go the extra route and spend more money it is my everything car but 4wheeling lol I dont need it to shave secounds off a track time for the moment Ill go shoping for a 2.5in turbo back exuast ? that what it called ? and if I do win the lottery or get a raise at least i know what I need to do when I get a bigger turbo :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that will explaine why I havent found any last night -_-... I have a powerfull whelder think Ill use that again...ok thank you ill figgure something out. and i can use jst about any muffer ?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
yeah probably. and yeah, if you can weld, go for it. just buy 2.5" prebent mandrel pieces. that'll keep the cost down, then just copy the configuration of the stock exhaust. are you keeping the cat or not? if not i would suggest a glasspack in place of the cat. a loud GA sounds really obnoxiousl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AHhh come on now you know they sound great lol...no I only have the orginal muffer I have and no cat what so ever dosnt some of the muffler comes with silencer I notice some did... what size should the tip be performance wise not showing off wise lol

Jw I saw this one car in my town he or she lol had a straight exuast no bending what so ever except from the engine and down but i also notice that his car couldnt be lowerd to much that looks nice but my car is going to be lowered like one ince from orginal but ill still keep max travel getting this K&N coil over kit.....

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
the b12/b13 exhaust doesn't really have any serious bends until right before the exit. as far as straight piping goes, if you were going to do that you might as well have an early side exit, but straight pipe on a 4cyl sounds like ass. i would just stick with a 2.5" proper exhaust. also, a proper exhaust may keep the car from attracting too much attention.

a 3" tip should be more than enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I have to say TSI has done some really good research, manufacturing, and marketing in regards to their products. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them read this forum on occasion. If you do go ahead and turbo your GA16DE, I do also suggest you upgrade to the T25. I have one of my GA16DET, and it is an excellent fit. I also suggest, unless you are looking for 12+ lbs of boost (overkill on a Sentra for the street), stick with 259cc injectors and forget about the 370ccs. To run the 370ccs, you'll need an ECU tune, and you won't for the 259ccs. Also, the 259ccs can hold all the way up to 12lbs of boost on the T25 before maxxing out. I do also suggest you upgrade fuel pumps just to be sure you have no difficulties down the road, and an S-AFC 2 or some other fuel tuner is a must! Otherwise you'll blow your car up, no joke.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"and an S-AFC 2 or some other fuel tuner is a must! Otherwise you'll blow your car up, no joke."

what is that i dont recall any of that stuff when I was reading about useing turbos...

i wont be gettign a turbo in a few months due to the fact i found a few extra broken parts and is trying to replace some bushing and motor mount bushing im sure it a given that i should put better bushing in befor putting in a turbo plus i need to free up extra space in my credit card -_- so it will have to wait again but when i get it ill be prepared and have everything ready for it work out the kinks befor the turbo powerd engine finds it the hard way... but yea tell me more or direct me to a link about this fuel tuner....

and I am still woundering if the exhaust system 2.5in will be ok on the car without a turbo

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
An S-AFC 2 is a tuning device that allows you to use other MAF sensors (even those not made by Nissan), as well as adjust your fuel correction by +50 and -50%. This is very necessary if you use larger size injectors (without an ECU flash) so you can turn down the excess fuel, or if you use stock injectors and need more fuel delivery to avoid detonation or leaning out your engine. The S-AFC 2 is made by A'pexi, but AEM and Greddy both have their own versions of the device. It is a cheaper alternative to a tuned ECU or stand-alone management system.

On my car, when I re-do the exhaust, I am going to go 2.25 inch from downflow pipe back (gradually stepping down from the 3 inch at exhaust elbow), mandrel bent of course and as straight as possible. I also plan to use a high-flow cat (because I like Earth and want to keep it pretty and breathable), and my current high-flow Silverline muffler. Then again, my car is also a sleeper, so I want to keep it less obvious that it is now very potent. I think in general 2.5 inch would be alright, but it will be noisy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i was gonna start a thread like this haha but i found this first any ways.....i am going to be getting the extreme kit with the intercooler and tbi injection unit. my question is why not use the injection unit for the fuel control because and i am guessing here but if you need more fuel just buy 2 bigger injectors and retweek the control unit...oh and on the wideband i have seen the lc1 or something like that say they can imitate a 0-5valt nb signal if i use that it wont throw a code right?

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
I have no experience with the fuel control unit TSI provides via their kit. I pieced my GA16DET from numerous sources, and opted to use 259cc injectors over the stock 185cc ones. Ironically, the 185cc injectors were golden until 5 lbs of boost on the T25! The extra injector(s) is the same principle as just upgrading to a larger spray set of injectors, but by just swapping out injectors, you have less brain-box to deal with. Plus, the S-AFC 2 is very easy to use and work, not to mention you can get them pretty cheap on eBay since A'pexi doesn't manufacture them anymore. In addition, if you want to eventually run even more boost on the TSI kit, the 185cc injectors are eventually going to max out and you'll need to upgrade anyway. My plans are to have a 12lbs of boost GA16DET by the end of the summer with new timing components, stock bottom end, ported turbo manifold, 2.25 exhaust, and a nice little hidden fmic that gets plenty of airflow but still maintains the "sleeper" look. I still need an NX1600 5-speed transmission if anyone can find one... best transmission for the GA-series by far (longer final drive and lsd!).

Also, to answer your wideband question, most good quality widebands have the feature to "fake-out" your O2 sensor, meaning your ECU reads the wideband rather than your O2 sensor.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
for the question about the injector control unit, honestly its worth a try.

i've looked at the instructions for it, over and over and it seems like a really solid idea. and because everything else in the kit seems so solid, i would trust it. if you read TSI's bio, they're an engineering group, not a racing company. that being said, i can imagine they have a pretty good line on software engineering, as well as mechanical and automotive engineering.

the other thing is that the injector control unit gives you a lot of other handy functions. it doesn't just control the injectors. its also very easy to understand and work with, providing that the instructions are accurate. if you email TSI, they can email you back the instructions for the install of the kit, and on how to install and program the ICU.

and go with the T25BB. there is no point not to. if you stick with the T20, you might as well drop in an SR20DE with a couple bolt ons, cuz it'd be cheaper, and you would be quicker.

·
Registered
104 Posts
what are the HP/torque differences between a T20 GA16DET(with 2.5 turbo exhuast) and a N/A SR20DE stock? you would think they be about the same if not a faster GA16DET with all supporting mods, i was just wondering if anyone knew some numbers or times

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
they are about exactly the same. and an SR20DE has no turbo lag. now, the the T20 has almost no lag, but that point where its hust straight engine GA16DE before the turbo kicks in, the SR will get the jump. not to mention dropping in an SR, if you can do the work, is about $500-$1000 whereas the turbo GA16DE is gonna cost you close to $3000. with that extra $2000 on an NA sr20de, you could make it about 170-180hp, or do suspension mods

the reason for the T25BB is that for an extra $300, you get a 200+ hp car instead of a 140-150hp car. i believe the term is nuff' said. at that point, you would need more money invested into an SR20DE in order to make the same power NA. and a T25BB still spools VERY fast.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.