Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really worth going turbo in a 1.8s? I got my sentra after my WRX was totaled and i really miss the boost. I think I could save money and in a few months have the money to go turbo, but exactly how much will that cost? I have already installed cat back exhaust and CAI, should i just stick with bolt-on parts?

Maybe it would be a better idea to save money over the next few years and buy some other car when i finish college. I would love to be back behind the wheell of an all wheel drive, turbo car. Maybe an evo this time around instead of the rex. Then there is always the fun of rear wheel drive with alot of hp, like the new 300hp G35.

Even with major suspension upgrades i kno it will be hard to get the sentra to handle like a wrx. so i dont kno if im better off waiting to but something else.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
actually the sentra can be made to handle quite well...incredibly well......

nismo front and rear sway bars, JIC FLT-A2 coilovers, strut bar, greddy rear strut bar, bam....awesome handling machine.

www.nissanperformancemag.com read about project QG18DE turbo.

www.mdhall.com I sell turbo kits. there's your cost right there ;)

Yes, it's worth it. believe me.

·
8,328 Posts
if you spent the money building up the internals. then again, you've never driven a 200whp sentra, it takes less energy(read: less boost) to put 200whp down on a 2wd car as opposed to an AWD car.

and keep in mind why you downgraded to what you did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a look at the QG18DE turbo on the nissan performance magazine and the kit on the other site.

Upond purchasing the kit, would my car be set with what it needs to go turbo or would i need additional parts. Also, how much would it cost to have the full turbo kit installed prpperly and have my car on the road with turbo?

Im graduating high school in may and betwen graduation and money saved i will most likely be able to afford the turbo kit, so im just wondering about additional expenses.

Also, i was thinking about purchasing headers and pulleys soon, if i decide to go turbo should i hold off on puying those parts?

·
8,328 Posts
don't buy bolt ons if you're going turbo.

as for the install price, you need to contact local shops and ask them how much they would charge to install and tune the kit.

·
PowerdBySteamtoCookRice
281 Posts
Yeah, im really considering of purchasing one too! I hopefully will gain enough money for it during summer. With all the stuff that comes with the turbo kit that you sell and getting the fuel stuff, do you think gettin suspension done before or after...? Im still debating on it, but im not sure which one to do first. I'm thinking of saving every cent till I can purchase a turbo kit. Although I still have much to do before putting a turbo into my car, considering i've only done a cai and im purchasing a exhaust this week.

P.S. On your website, the mod list, that would be a good way to start before getting a turbo. (not the exact parts) But it would be a good referance list? Right?

Jason

·
8,328 Posts
I wouldn't consider getting an exhaust for turbo until you already have the turbo kit purchased because turbo exhausts are too large for na on this car.

·
PowerdBySteamtoCookRice
281 Posts
chimmike said:
I wouldn't consider getting an exhaust for turbo until you already have the turbo kit purchased because turbo exhausts are too large for na on this car.

Yeah, I guess your right. Then I should just do everything else execpt the exhaust untill im ready to get a turbo then? Which im assuming. I still need time and money, two of the most important items to getting a turbo. :)

·
8,328 Posts
research is the most important. then money and time

·
Registered
78 Posts
What do you mean the exhaust is oo big for an NA engine? Sorry I'm still trying to figure the whole turbo thing out and in another thread someone had mentioned 2.25" catback on it and someone else I talked to was trying to convince me to go with 2.75 piping to the muffler and dual 1.75 pipes out from there would this work for a turbo setup or no?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sanguinius said:
What do you mean the exhaust is oo big for an NA engine? Sorry I'm still trying to figure the whole turbo thing out and in another thread someone had mentioned 2.25" catback on it and someone else I talked to was trying to convince me to go with 2.75 piping to the muffler and dual 1.75 pipes out from there would this work for a turbo setup or no?
A turbo engine would probably use a minimum of a 2.5" mandrel bent piping, although that would be on the small side. Most exhausts are around 3" although im not sure what the ideal size is for a turbo qg18de (and different mods will affect this).
On an NA car you dont want any bigger than 2" mandrel bent piping or 2.25" pressbent but the 2" mandrel bent is better if you have cash to play with. If you go larger than this your NA 1.8 will suffer substancial losses in the bottom end of the rev range and wont gain much up (unless its worked and is a particularly angry engine, but in that case youd have an exhaust already). Dont listen to what anyone says about back pressure it is bad, the losses arent due to losing back pressure theyre due to losing exhaust velocity which is different.

The exhaust youve described might work alright on a turbo (if mandrel bent) but its way to big for an NA engine even if it is press bent.

If you want to go turbo with your qg18 in the next year dont waste your money on the exhaust, youd be better off investing money in things that will still be useful after going DET.Things like cams, lightened flywheel, short shifter, piggyback ECU like a greddy emanage etc..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gregor said:
A turbo engine would probably use a minimum of a 2.5" mandrel bent piping, although that would be on the small side. Most exhausts are around 3" although im not sure what the ideal size is for a turbo qg18de (and different mods will affect this).
On an NA car you dont want any bigger than 2" mandrel bent piping or 2.25" pressbent but the 2" mandrel bent is better if you have cash to play with. If you go larger than this your NA 1.8 will suffer substancial losses in the bottom end of the rev range and wont gain much up (unless its worked and is a particularly angry engine, but in that case youd have an exhaust already). Dont listen to what anyone says about back pressure it is bad, the losses arent due to losing back pressure theyre due to losing exhaust velocity which is different.

The exhaust youve described might work alright on a turbo (if mandrel bent) but its way to big for an NA engine even if it is press bent.

If you want to go turbo with your qg18 in the next year dont waste your money on the exhaust, youd be better off investing money in things that will still be useful after going DET.Things like cams, lightened flywheel, short shifter, piggyback ECU like a greddy emanage etc..
They make a short shifter and piggyback ECU for the QG18??? I'm pretty sure cams aren't out yet but I should be able to find a lightened flywheel I think...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sanguinius said:
They make a short shifter and piggyback ECU for the QG18??? I'm pretty sure cams aren't out yet but I should be able to find a lightened flywheel I think...
They make a short shifter im sure, i dont have a link on hand but im sure a search will dig up the relevant info. If not ill look in a day or so when im workin next.
As for a piggyback ECU you'll need to use a universal unit like the emanage, there isnt any qg18 specific unit available. And no cams arent out yet but apparently jwt is actually getting started on these soon so hopefully it wont be too much longer. Unorthodox racing make a qg18 flywheel.

·