Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so....once i started adding up prices on bolt-ons and about how much power i expect to get out of them, i decided it would probably be more cost efficient for me to swap in a SR20DET(in terms of more power for the $$$). in addition i could still do the bolt-ons later! now i'm leaning towards a bluebird engine from JGY CUSTOMS, but am curious if it might be better to just have a turbo kit put on my SR20DE. my major concerns are $$$ and someone in the northeast reliable enough to do the swap or turbo kit for me. any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated. (for the record, it is for my 96 200sx SE-R with almost 100k miles on it!) thanks all--

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
You can get more power out of a turbo motor for cheaper. I'd go turbo but I need to be able to have traction in the winter and I'm kinda having fun trying to squeeze power out of mine N/A. I'll prolly get a 100 shot of NOS to use in the summer after more mods. Turbo is the way to go if you don't have to drive it in snow and ice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
gottabfast said:
You can get more power out of a turbo motor for cheaper. I'd go turbo but I need to be able to have traction in the winter and I'm kinda having fun trying to squeeze power out of mine N/A. I'll prolly get a 100 shot of NOS to use in the summer after more mods. Turbo is the way to go if you don't have to drive it in snow and ice.
If you can afford either a new engine, SR20DET, or get a turbo kit then you should be able to get a boost controller...

Turn the boost down in the winter and you won't have that traction problem... Or get better tires.

True True???

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
I hope, right now it's my only car. I can't afford the downtime and I can't afford to not be able to drive it. I would love to go turbo. Right now I'm content spending weekends with my baby and my tools. Yea, keeping the boost down is a good idea for traction and I definitely need better rubber.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yea same...

However, I'm still stuck with an Auto (parent's fault) with a GA16DE... So my baby is currently gutless and waiting for that much needed upgrades.

My rubbers... hahaha Don't go there, I think it'll be bald really soon. lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
Got to swapjdm.com they have SR20DET engines for 2100 bucks. I would go for the full engine swap. The bluebird engine is 1700 bucks i think?

·
Registered
62 Posts
None of you really helped in this thread.

His question was : Should he slap a turbo on his SR20DE or swap for an SR20DET.

Im also in the same boat by my reasons are because I have an RR SR20DE, 2001. Im thinking Id be best with a DET, but since I only have 60 000km. My engine is prime for a turbo...

·
Registered
233 Posts
xyesterdayx said:
thank you, spicez, for listening....
First, Whats your actual engine condition at the moment?
If it needs some repairs, go for the swap; if its ok, well my friend you have a big homework to do, and a lot of info to dig...

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO

I would go with the JDM SR20DET, cause if you are debating about cost that would be cheaper then getting aturbo kit and stuff.

1) You know the JDM is pre-built with the turbo so it's built to take the extra boost.

2) If you go turbo kit you will need minor internal mods to toughen up the engine to take the extra power if you decide to go high boost. ie cam

3) You need a new ECU or AF(something forgot last letter, it piggy's on to your ECU) if you get the turbo kit to adjust your air to fuel ratio... If you don't you run the chance of really messing up your engine.

4) Not too sure about this one... I think the JDM SR20DET is a stage II turbo setup so you get the top mounted intercooler so that is also a money saver there.

Does that help?

When it comes down to it, it's up to you on what you want.

·
Registered
314 Posts
your not often going to get the TMIC with the motor... and its really just a matter of prefrence and what you want to do with it. Dont be so vauge when asking questions. People are willing to help but they cant read minds!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts