Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i was just curious one what u people thought on what the best turbo upgrade would be, i did some searching and read a article about how the t3/t04E kicks some serious butt once it gets spooling between 2500(starts) and 4500(full bost) which is good because id be able to cruise around town and not boost meaning save gas.

ive also searched and found the gt3071 mentioned a few times but it was just people suggesting to others to get it i havent read any specific feedback for instance how much some one cranks the psi to on average or how well it spools in a every day application.

so if anyone has anything to add please do id love to read some opinions

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Slacky said:
ok guys i was just curious one what u people thought on what the best turbo upgrade would be, i did some searching and read a article about how the t3/t04E kicks some serious butt once it gets spooling between 2500(starts) and 4500(full bost) which is good because id be able to cruise around town and not boost meaning save gas.

ive also searched and found the gt3071 mentioned a few times but it was just people suggesting to others to get it i havent read any specific feedback for instance how much some one cranks the psi to on average or how well it spools in a every day application.

so if anyone has anything to add please do id love to read some opinions

ANY turbo means you can drive around town and not boost. you will only see boost under 3/4 to full throttle conditions. Otherwise if you taje it easy you will not see boost regardless of what turbo you run.

Honestly SR20 turbo options are abundant. What you need to decide is first what you are willing to spend, and second what your power/response goals are. Then just look at the documentation on SR20 turbo choices and figure out what meets the previous criteria.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It depends on what type of power goals youre lookin for and what type of powerband also. If you plan on making 500whp then of course you arent gonna want a t2 series turbo or if you dont want lag you arent gonna get a t67. If youre planning on making 400+ with good spool id opt for an sc61 or gt3071r. I have a gt2835r and it spools quick but wont make over 400whp with my motor.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im lookin for roughly 350-400 anything more would be a lil excesive or thats atleast how i see it now, im sure i will want more someday, did a lil more searching and it seams that the gt3076 is roughly what i THINK im lookin for, relitively quick spool with a good kick of boost, a happy medium. if u know a good palce off line to buy turbo chargers thatd be a help but so far forced performance.com looks pretty promising

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
cheapturbo isn't cheap anymore. They're downright more expensive than most places I've seen.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lshadoff said:
Have you read Mike Kojima's article on choosing a turbo in the current issue of NPM?

Lew
just read it now, good to know info in there g35 turbo eh.. im still thinkin gt3071wg or gt3076wg though, its roughly 1,250 pretty much anywhere i look for either

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have put the formulas from Mike Kojima's article into a spreadsheet, and calculated the parameters for various boosts and rpms. I plotted them on the compressor maps from the article, and it shows the operating range of the engine superimposed on the map in the grey areas.

Note:
1) that the GT30 turbo is good for up to 10-12psi boost if you rev to 7800rpm (the rev limit for the JWT ECU). Also at 20psi on the GT35, you are outside the range below 3400rpm.
2) The compressor maps will be different for different Trim levels, so this evaluation should be done for the specific turbos you are considering.

GT30

GT35

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
myoung said:
Is it just me or does it seem like Lew has wayyy to much free time ;)
it just you. :thumbup:

lew want to help me with my turbo ?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
myoung said:
Is it just me or does it seem like Lew has wayyy to much free time ;)
meh.. his greater interest leads to my decision on a turbo upgrade. so good for him and yay for me though i still cant decide. right now im just a lil angry at my se-r wishin it was rwd cus its so packed under there, this swap is posing a harder challenge than i first anti cipated but i should have taken all the rusty bolts and super tight hoses into consideration a lil more

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was doing a bit more research and stumbled on these two and can't seem to make up my mind due to clearance issues:

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

Must have the .86 A/R Turbine Housing, Internal Wastegate, T25/T28 inlet flange and 2.75" Compressor Inlet.

Tell me what you guys think of these two. Not trying to stray from the thread, just wanted to get a few opinions on these.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i love how you say " Not trying to stray from the thread, just wanted to get a few opinions on these."

in a thread that has been dead for 5 years!!!!

its times like these i do a face-palm and lol... you could have started your own thread.... :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
i love how you say " Not trying to stray from the thread, just wanted to get a few opinions on these."

in a thread that has been dead for 5 years!!!!

its times like these i do a face-palm and lol... you could have started your own thread.... :p
True......just didn't want to create another thread when there's already another one looming around.

Tell me, what do you think about the two options?

·
Registered
630 Posts
well it seems that both have similar numbers and will do the same job " give you more power"

so then it comes down to fitment... and if im not mistaken it will be easier to mount the GT30...

if you look at the brief bullet points of info garret gives you, you will notce that the GT28 says
* Best suited for unique applications such as asymmetric turbo installations
* Not recommended for general performance applications
and the GT30 says
Excellent for applications w/ packaging constraints

·
Registered
93 Posts
^
I was doing a bit more research and was told that the GT30 would NOT work as well with the T28 flange as with the T3 flange; the T28 flange would be more restrictive in terms of airflow.

If i'm limited to GT2876, I need to know if there would be any clearance issues bearing in mind that I want to use the 76mm 48 Trim .70 A/R Compressor Housing with the 76 Trim .86 Turbine Housing.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
well it seems that both have similar numbers and will do the same job " give you more power"

so then it comes down to fitment... and if im not mistaken it will be easier to mount the GT30...

if you look at the brief bullet points of info garret gives you, you will notce that the GT28 says

and the GT30 says
Huh a GT30 is easier to install than a GT30? Have you held them in your hand side by side? The Gt28 series is smaler and easier to package especially with the umpteen turbine housing options from ATP turbo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts