Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is everyone getting the turbo manifold for the GA16de from?
I've been checking ebay all the time, and all the parts sites only sell the $3000 kit (bit outta my range). Any advice at all? Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
well.. if you want good and will be able to spend some money then just give dimensions and rough picture of what you whant to machinist and he'll fo that for do. :) I did it by my self excluding the flanges which was made by one of our customers. :)

- No-Pain -

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....$339 isn't too too bad, but I'm a pretty broke college kid. But the car WILL be turboed somehow. How much/how difficult was it to do yourself? And what are the flanges? Did you use the stock exaust manifold and modify it?

Thanks for the answers by the way, seemed to be the only place in the world to get it, and I just cant afford money/time on the sr20 swap or full kit for the ga16.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can have a turbo flange welded to the stock manifold by a decent welder. Either arc weld or TIG weld with a dissimilar-metal welding rod. Make sure the parts are preheated, and you'll have no issues.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
A bit of threadjacking, do tell me more about the preheating stuff. I have heard of that but do not know how it works yet. That is a requirement to weld to cast iron, right? How to you heat it up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welding the stock manifold wasw actually my original idea, I'm just happy to see someone else actually had it done. That seems by far the cheapest route.
Thanks!
Jake

·
Registered
151 Posts
A bit of threadjacking, do tell me more about the preheating stuff. I have heard of that but do not know how it works yet. That is a requirement to weld to cast iron, right? How to you heat it up?

Yes, you must preheat or it will likely crack. I heated the manifold up to 450° in an old kitchen oven I have in my barn, took about 20 minutes. Then removed it with some fireplace tongs and placed it on my (metal) welding bench. I grabbed the steel flange and positioned it on the manifold, then tack-welded that in place. I then flipped the manifold over and clamped it in a vise for access to the flange for welding. Proceeded to weld it in one pass with my TIG. Never heard a 'pop' out of it, unlike when you try to weld cast iron that is cold. No surface cracks either. The key is to let it cool slowly...never quench it! And don't blow compressed air at it either.

I used a special dissimilar-metal welding rod, it was called something like 'M400' or 'A400'...I can't remember. It's not cheap though, since it's mostly nickel. A pound of regular steel welding rod is about $5, a pound of this special welding rod is about $56! But in truth I used about 1/2 of one 'stick' of 1/8" diameter welding rod, so I used up almost a whopping $3.50 to weld the flange on. Well worth it...

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jake, I myself was thinking the same. Right now in the local yard there are at least 5 GA16DE cars. So I can even make a manifold and then take it there for some fitting tests.

Most impressive Bob! One other question: if you do crack it, or it has already a crack in it, can you use the same process to fill the crack?

·
Registered
86 Posts
it is possible to weld it to the stock manifold but it ways like a million pounds to do it like that

i have one like that that i bought a long time ago, i still have it, but i found a hotshot log style turbo manifold and im gonna use that with a disco potato and just go from there, the shaft in the stock manifold turbo plays so much that im afraid to put it on..ill try to post a pic but i dont know how to figure this damn site out yet lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is possible to weld it to the stock manifold but it ways like a million pounds to do it like that

i have one like that that i bought a long time ago, i still have it, but i found a hotshot log style turbo manifold and im gonna use that with a disco potato and just go from there, the shaft in the stock manifold turbo plays so much that im afraid to put it on..ill try to post a pic but i dont know how to figure this damn site out yet lol
Hey if your looking to get rid of it I'm your man....The rebuild comes first, though about halfway done the turbo is now a certanty. Time is another story, but it'll get there eventually. Let me know if ya can!
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey if your looking to get rid of it I'm your man....The rebuild comes first, though about halfway done the turbo is now a certanty. Time is another story, but it'll get there eventually. Let me know if ya can!
Thanks
id be more than happy go sell it to you but i would feel bad selling it to you, theres pics on my cardomain page, on page 3, but its so ghetto, the manifold is actually welded to the turbo, not a flange, the turbo....someone was a little eager to put it together before i got it, the turbo looks like crap but i dont think theres too much wrong with it, feel free to pm me about it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts