Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any body has had any problems with turboing there 1.6 with the compression ration or the car. the way i am looking at it the compression is to high to put a turbo on with out doing some motor work. if i am wrong about this please let me know. thanks alot the new kid on the block

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
it's not too high to turbocharge.

check out Nissan Performance Mag's project 200sx GA16 Turbo. He hasn't touched the internals.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
also check out the forced induction section.. it will give you a breakdown on turboing the GA

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, compression ration is around 9.5:1 (more or less) we have a seriously strong bottom end, and the top end is nicely set up for a turbo... do it.. i will be.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
himbo said:
if i'm not mistaken, compression ration is around 9.5:1 (more or less) we have a seriously strong bottom end, and the top end is nicely set up for a turbo... do it.. i will be.

youre right on the compression...but the ga's potential is yet to be determined..so it doesnt necessarily have a strong bottom end. read npm.com

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
cHoPs said:
youre right on the compression...but the ga's potential is yet to be determined..so it doesnt necessarily have a strong bottom end. read npm.com
they are unsure of how much a stock bottom end can hold, but im sure if it can hold 250whp, it has a good bottom end.. you have to remember, the motor started at 90whp.. its getting close to an extra 200whp without upgradin the bottom end..

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
psuLemon said:
they are unsure of how much a stock bottom end can hold, but im sure if it can hold 250whp, it has a good bottom end.. you have to remember, the motor started at 90whp.. its getting close to an extra 200whp without upgradin the bottom end..
I'd say that qualifies as strong.... ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turbo

i got a turbo setup for 200 bucks off ebay i couldnt pass it up. now that i got the setup i started reading into everything with the compression ration i thought i might fry some rings if i didnt do any internal work. thanks for all the feed back i aint quit sure if i am going to throw it on the sentra or the 200 yet i know that the 200 has even higher compression than the sentra 1.6 its 10:1 compare to 9.5:1. but your right lets see what she can do before she blows

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
they are the same motor, and what kind of system did you get for $200, ebay is a rip off and you can't get anything good for that money.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think that NPM should really put that motor to the test and see just how much boost it can take on the stock internals. It's at 14psi right now right? let's see if we can go for 20 :D

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Twiz said:
A GA16DET won't pass emissions test ... am I right ?
It depends where you live. I still have all of the stock emmisions equipment so where I live it passes. But in California it won't, I'm not sure about Chicago.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Here in IL they just check if you pollute they don't care how much chrome is under your hood or if your muffler has a huge tip on it. My last test which passed was: HC Composite Fast Pass is 0.124 my car was at 0.114, CO Composite Fast Pass is 0.693 my car was at 0.623, CO2 was at 50.200 but they don't test that. The guy drove the car on the threadmill for like seven seconds he got out and gave me all the papers and said that it passed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Could the stock 98 200sx auto tranny handle the turbo power?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts