Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read the ga16de responds quite well to inexpensive bolt-on mods. Since I did buy a nx1600 and I want to outperform my neighbours 2liter celica, I have my work cut out for me. In other words, my goal is to achieve/exceed 130bhp/ton.

The first two mods are quite obvious: Advancing timing and installing a cai.

When my distributor was turned all the way, my timing was still only 10 degrees BTDC. I had to work with a file to reach 15 degrees BTDC. (Weird, huh? Can someone explain?)

Removing the stock airbox proved to be too much of a hassle, so I just relocated the stock pipe into the wheelarch and bought a pipercross filter for the stock airbox.

But now I'm stuck. The next step should be an extractor header and a complete 2" exhaust system. The exhaustsystem isn't that hard to achieve, I'll just have to visit a exhaust shop nearby. But where can I find an extractor header in Europe? (Or in a worst case scenario: can they be imported from the US?)

But this will only give me about 20 extra horsepowers. What should I do next?
Is porting the head more efficient than matching the intake and exhaust ports to the headers? Should I increase the compression ratio? Or perhaps have som better cams installed? What's the cheapest way to achieve my goal?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The cheapest way to do what you want is to BUY A TURBO KIT!!!!!!!!!!
1500 is the best I have found and is supposed to be a decent kit.
And please do us all a favor. Use the search feature for the forum. You will find out pretty much everything you can do performance wise that way.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cheapest way to do what you want is to BUY A TURBO KIT!!!!!!!!!!
1500 is the best I have found and is supposed to be a decent kit.
And please do us all a favor. Use the search feature for the forum. You will find out pretty much everything you can do performance wise that way.
I have used the search function and read through nearly all the tuning threads. The turbo kit is sure a cheap way to achieve horsepowers, but it is far too expensive. 1500$ for a kit (then taxes for importing it to Europe) and about 1000$ extra for the engine management required if you don't want to fry your engine. And that's without the installation. If I want to gain 25 hp (the stock engine is about 105) a new exhaust system, better air intake, advanced timing, port matching and perhaps something extra will be much, much cheaper. Probably under 1500$. And after that it's just a matter of weight reduction.

greenbean699 said:
you need to be in timing mode to change the base timing.
read this: http://www.nissanforums.com/ga16de-1...st-timing.html
I did read that tutorial. And I followed it to the point, of course I was in timing mode. Would have been quite hard to adjust with the timing jumping around all the time. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im pushing around 140-150 i got headers intake, and exhaust. advance timing running rich unorthodox pulley, rebuilt engine and adjusted valve shims. i race 2008 accords 2.4 i-vtec and we are evenly matched and thats like a 190hp car
Nice! :eek:
Where did you get your headers and the unorthodox pulleys? Is the header upsized as well? Or can I use a extractor header that fits the stock exhaust system with a 2" system without losing too much power?

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
guys, he wants 130bhp/ton. So thats like, what, 2.5*130 = 325bhp car!!

Only possible with a seriously nasty turbo install my friend. NA mods will not get you anywhere near that.

Or did you mean 130bhp TOTAL for your car? Even that with NA mods is gonna cost you more than a budget turbo install.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
the nx1600 is a 2350lb car (plus him, ~2550). if he's talking a 2000lb tonne (cant remember which tonne value is 2K lbs), then headers, 2" exhaust, free flow cat, some timing work, and some cam work, he can make that easily.

if he's going to go for a 1K lb tonne, we're talkin' massive weight reduction, and boost. which means no longer a daily driver. you'd probably have to bore it out too. to hit 325bhp, it's going to cost you ALOT.

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
lol, i'm talking to the thread starter:p.

boosting is fun, but takes some skill.

i won't be boosting. gas is too expensive up here to boost.
Actually, at low boost with proper tuning (wideband and such), a boosted engine can be more fuel efficient. That's at low boost though, none of that 10lbs plus stuff.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Actually, at low boost with proper tuning (wideband and such), a boosted engine can be more fuel efficient. That's at low boost though, none of that 10lbs plus stuff.
the added fuel cost is in needing premium fuel though, that's all. for 91 octane, it's an extra $1.20 a gallon, and i would be using 94 octane every 3 fill-ups which would be an extra $1.50 per gallon. we're already paying almost $6 a gallon for 87 octane here. that's a lot different in fuel costs.

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
All I have to say is "sorry for you Canadians". $6.00+ a gallon... jeez! That's more pricey than when I was living in England! I'd go bio-diesel all the way if I could, or convert to propane or LPG.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
yeah its brutal. we're not over 6.00/gl yet, but it's getting close.

seeing as you were in the UK, you understand $/L. right now, in BC we're paying about 1.40/L. in alberta they get off easy with 1.18/L, but i don't know the rest of canada. but yeah, we'll hit 1.50, maybe even 1.60/L by the end of the summer, which is getting heinous.

(Americans reading, multiply those values by 3.75 to get $/gallon)

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Yeah, metric is lost mostly to Americans ;). It's like explaining that I weigh 14 stone (Brit unit of weight measurement) or am 1.83 metres tall. Funny thing is, we still use most standard measurements back in the UK, but metric sure is handy when dealing with the rest of Europe. I just can't believe you Canadians are paying that much for fuel... do you all import all your oil from overseas like here?

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
haha Im an eeedeeyot like Steeeempy.

Gas in Montreal is at 1.38 a litre.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think I'll amaze you a bit because gas costs in Finlad 1,55 eur (95 oct) and 98 oct is about 7-15 cents more expensive. And I heard that it could be expected that it will raise up to 1,7-1,8 eur /litre. This sucks truly in here! And I have 32 km/direction to my work so total day count will be atleast 64 km. Everyone can count how fucking expensive it is!

- No-Pain -

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
well, goes like this.

we have tons of oil. saskatchewan tar sands, alberta oil fields. they produce tons of oil. but the companies are american owned. so we see none of it. also, there are only 4 operating gasoline refineries in canada, and they can't meet the demand for gasoline for the country. we also pay taxes on gasoline out the butt.

it's a sad situation. oil prices don't really affect gasoline prices. it has everything to do with restriction and production. the refineries simply can't produce petrol quick enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts