Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys...... finally about to start doing some serious work to my 98 200sx. This is my second project car and I want to do everything right with this one because it has to get me through college and hopefully last a few years afterwards.

So.... some history first. My first project car was a 95 chevy cavalier which went great until I threw a rod in it. Few months later..... wristpin in the second....... two months later.... wristpin in the THIRD! My exaust setup was just a flowmaster 40 series, no cat, and a K&N drop-in. Quite a few expert family and friend mechanics told me that by cutting the cat I unbalanced the air/fuel ratio and all so that's what caused me to break the pins.

So..... I'm looking to go with a K&N filter connected to the stock tubing until I can get a JWT pop charger. So with that in mind..... now I'm trying to figure out what kind of exaust I need to go with to keep things BALANCED. I want magnaflow exaust for sure..... but my question is should I get a cat-back system with the stock diameters or would I be fine with just putting a magnaflow muffler on it with the stock cat and piping? Will this be properly "tuned" and balanced, giving me power gain but ALSO keeping it where it won't do any harm to my engine? Keep in mind please this is my daily driver that I'm paying notes on and don't want to screw anything up on my baby.

Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm rather confused. My car club president brought it to my attention about how things should be tuned.... and not slapped on. Sort of an enlightment I should have gotten a year ago and I'd still be driving my ole' cavy possibly. Not that I don't like my nissan though, cause I love it :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
go with 2" mendrel bent piping

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
^ what he said

Go with 2" stuff, mandrel bends, all mufflers/resonators with straight through prefforated core.

D

·
0 Posts
This is kind of obvious (but since you're a noobie) you should install an air/fuel meter before you do any mods if you want to be maticuluos. It'll tell you if the mixture is off.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Death04 said:
This is kind of obvious (but since you're a noobie) you should install an air/fuel meter before you do any mods if you want to be maticuluos. It'll tell you if the mixture is off.
Those types of air/fuel meters are useless, they are only accurate near 14.7:1. They are hoplessely inaccurate out of that range. 14.7:1 is only for part throttle slow stuff. Its way to lean for full throttle.

Don't worry about your nissan leaning out. Unlike your old car, Nissans use a MAF system that compensates for minor mods. Your old car uses a MAP system that can't so mods can lean your motor out.

Mike

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
what about my car its running WAY too rich! any ideas.

edit: running rich at idle.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
nice black carbon build-up on exaust tip, white smoke comes out of exaust pipe at idle but not at full throttle, car consistantly back-fires when i down shift, and when cold at idle it runs so rich raw gas drips out of exaust pipe, not to mention shitty gas mileage with normal responsible driving.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
also, a clue may be that i cannot hold the rpm's steady at 2,000 while the cars not in gear, it surges up to 3000 down to 1000 over and over again.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
landlord said:
nice black carbon build-up on exaust tip, white smoke comes out of exaust pipe at idle but not at full throttle, car consistantly back-fires when i down shift, and when cold at idle it runs so rich raw gas drips out of exaust pipe, not to mention shitty gas mileage with normal responsible driving.
First off you dont have a cat, so carbon on tip is normal. Even with cats most cars will do this. White smoke has nothing to do with richness. White smoke indicates water/moisture. Almost all imports I have seen with modded exh backfire occasionally. Lacking a cat makes it worse. I have 2" manifold-back exh and my car back fires occasionally. Raw gas out the pipe... Hmm I doubt that, if you are running that rich you have MAJOR problems with either the fuel or ignition system. What do you consider shitty gas milage?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
First off you dont have a cat, so carbon on tip is normal. Even with cats most cars will do this. White smoke has nothing to do with richness. White smoke indicates water/moisture. Almost all imports I have seen with modded exh backfire occasionally. Lacking a cat makes it worse. I have 2" manifold-back exh and my car back fires occasionally. Raw gas out the pipe... Hmm I doubt that, if you are running that rich you have MAJOR problems with either the fuel or ignition system. What do you consider shitty gas milage?
cool you put my mind a ease. shitty gas milage to me is like 10 mpg in the city though its weird i get like 44, highway. what do you think about the serging? my dad say he thinks its the tps, but he knows very little about our cars (he's an old desiel mech.)

edit: and the raw gas might be mosture too, just kind smells like gas?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
oh yeah did i mention iv'e blown three distributers this year 1 new and two used? just giving all the info i can.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
If you are getting 44 highway then I would say your fine for milage. The serging could be any number of things. Have you given your car a good tune-up lately? Plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter. If you havent, I would start there. Even if it doesnt fix your problems it should be done anyway.

*edit* what part of the dist. have you blown? If we go any futher with this we should move outta here.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
tune up, about 200 miles ago didn't help. the distributer what part i blew couldnt tell ya. "your distributer is non-servicable and your not getting any spark" thats the best i could get out of the dealer ship.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
landlord said:
cool you put my mind a ease. shitty gas milage to me is like 10 mpg in the city though its weird i get like 44, highway. what do you think about the serging? my dad say he thinks its the tps, but he knows very little about our cars (he's an old desiel mech.)

edit: and the raw gas might be mosture too, just kind smells like gas?
I would check the function of the MAF, a posible bad ground and the TPS.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
landlord said:
oh yeah did i mention iv'e blown three distributers this year 1 new and two used? just giving all the info i can.
Blowing 3 distributors seems almost impossible, they are very reliable. What in the distributor blew? The crank angle sensor?

Mike

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
morepower2 said:
Blowing 3 distributors seems almost impossible, they are very reliable. What in the distributor blew? The crank angle sensor?

Mike
not sure the damn dealership wont tell me. is there away to test this? i should get a factory service manual and check all the stuff you suggested. thanks mike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts