Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I follow the manuals suggestions of when to do a tune up on all the parts, or should I be doin them sooner? Like the plugs on my 01 SE, the manual says to do it at 105K!! WTF? Should I just change them, I now have about 45K miles on it. Should I replace the following components to do a good tune up at this point:

Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, 02 sensor...

Am I missing anything? I have a K&N type airfilter so I can clean that.

Reason I'm thinkin of doin a tune up is because my car is running really crappy, with MPG at about 25-27mpg, whereas when I bought it 8 months ago it was doin 30-33mpg and was more powerful it seems.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
full tune-ups are a waste of money because you'll be replacing some parts long before their life expectancy.

for instance, plain jane spark plugs last about 40k whereas an o2 sensor lasts at least 70k. a cap and rotor should last well over 100k while an air filter will only last 20k(2 years)...see what im getting at?

follow the haynes manual shedule for repair/replacement, dont do everything at the same time. it's just a waste of effort and money. and if you dont have a haynes manual, then for god's sake get one!

·
b15 pimp daddy
158 Posts
Tavel said:
a cap and rotor should last well over 100k while an air filter will only last 20k(2 years)...see what im getting at?

follow the haynes manual shedule for repair/replacement, dont do everything at the same time. it's just a waste of effort and money. and if you dont have a haynes manual, then for god's sake get one!

And what ever you do .. don't listen to this guy..

you should be reading your MANUAL that came with your car.. for maintainence intervals.

The only things i'd suggest ignoring for the time being is the O2 sensor replacemen. your not likely gonna need that any time soon..

cap/rotor should be done every 30k miles. you can go over that.. but i wouldn't suggest it.

plugs. your perogative. 50k with platinums is suggested. can go as far as 80 if you want.. However.. I will note that alot of SE owners have Burnt/melted plugs. after 50k.

Fuel filter is service free.. forget it

80k is fine on plug wires.

·
Go Drift Alliance!
646 Posts
Once you change your cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires, you will see a pretty decent difference at 45k. I'm pretty anal and I like to replace things that don't really necessarily need replaced early. It's not that expensive, save the plugs and plug wires. Definitely go with what Nissan's scheduled maintenance is at the very very least. Matt is dead on with coolant as well. :D

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
Mr SEntra said:
Once you change your cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires, you will see a pretty decent difference at 45k. I'm pretty anal and I like to replace things that don't really necessarily need replaced early. It's not that expensive, save the plugs and plug wires. Definitely go with what Nissan's scheduled maintenance is at the very very least. Matt is dead on with coolant as well. :D
haynes has the nissan maintence schedule in it...thats what i was refering too. haynes is a very useful tool as far as schedules and capacities are concerned.

genius sr20dee: i was proving a point that its useless to replace things that dont necesarily need it...i did indeed write "follow the maintnence schedule", i didn't say "follow what i just said"...you need to read more closely kid.

·