Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read throw all the sticky's and can find out what i have under my hood. i have a 1988 sentra wagon sw 2wd no 4wd. its old and its been in the family a long time and it still runs strong. but im ready to give it a face lift but i need to know what i have in order to to the research on here and other sites . it is my daily drive so if i do any swap it will need to be a plug and play to a point.

things im looking to do are to full fuel injected not tbody injected and ether a full swap or just what i need to true it 4wd.

any and all help would be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
from what I found...you have one of three motors....

1.6 L (96.7 cid) E16(s) I4
1.6 L (96.7 cid) E16(i) I4
1.6 L (96.7 cid) GA16(i) I4

it just depends which is under your hood....good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think is the GA16(i) but there where something like that but is was like twice as long. i know this is going to sound nube's but whats the deff between them i see the same L and cid. is it something simple like motor mounts or the trany?

sorry dont know much about this car, i hand built a 1970 nove and was diving that until gas went throw the roof and not the nove is the weekend car and the sentra is my daily

·
Registered
56 Posts
you are alright man...the differences are in the performance of the engines.

I know my kn12 has the ga16i, which is prob what you have as well...it is a lil 1.6L with about 90hp at the crank

the e motors I do not know anything about, but it seems that the ga is a better motor and that the swap to either a fwd sr20 or using the ca18de seem to be better bets

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well like i said in the first post i leaning to going awd. i know they had them for this year, b/c the parts stores around here have parts. again im a welder/fab so i can do modes to the under body to exp a drive shaft and a rear end. but what i wont to know is with the motor i have is there a trany swap i can do to change it form 2wd to awd

i main after all my nove has a 4 barrel on it. and i get mustangs that think they got something until the front tries come up off the ground. not looking to race this car, just wont something that i can push on a back road or be able to get to the fishing hole that most 2wds cant get to you know

·
Registered
56 Posts
do some research on it...I look on wikipedia alot to get my basic stuff lately

go from there....and ask sonicgundam...he seems to know his stuff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i know i have been looking around and the guy next door just make a one off custom drive like and made his parts runner awd but some tubing and and gears. he said you wont get away with racing it but it would work for what i wont to do. but yea i think im going to look in to it a big more. but need to know the motor type and all first you know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that was going to be my next question about just a trany swap, its like you can read my mind. as for the rear end i dont know what im going to put under it yet. there are a few that im looking in to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the junkyards love me, but i will call around and see and hope i can find one for cheep. i guess it would only be right to do a big post on it. to show how to turn a 2wd into a awd. dont think i have seen one on here yet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
its been done to a n13 which is basically the same as a b12....ask me how i know....if you are gonna go through the trouble of a motor swap i would suggest the sr20 motor..has a much better aftermarket than the ca18de motors and alot more info is out there on them....jmtc
i have a gtir motor, gtir tranny, and b12 awd rear end and sub frame in my n13....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts