Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change my brake pads on a 2000 Nissan Sentra SE. However, I am having a problem pushing back the the piston into the calipher. In the past I've used a simple C clamp to achieve this, and that doesn't seem to be working. I also notice that piston is molded in a way that you may need a special tool to do this. Any help is appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently changed my brakes and what I did was I took off the bleeder valve. Then I could push the piston back in by hands. If not, try the C clamp. But I don't know the difference between my brakes(99 G20) and yours.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, I did have to bleed the brakes after.... also I'm not to good of a mechanic either

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you should just let some fluid out and bleed the lines when you're done. it's not hard at all, and only requires a clear hose and another person.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You didn't mention whether this was the front or the rear. I'm guessing its the rear based on your description of the caliper piston. Those need to be rotated back in, rather than simply pushed in like the fronts. This is part of the self adjusting e-brake mechanism.

You can either rent or buy a cheap universal tool to help rotate these in - any autoparts store should have them.

Aaron

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also, this way you don't have to bleed the brakes or anything, just push the piston back in and put new pads on. The only thing you might have to do is remove some brake fluid from the reservoir.

Aaron

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right luminous, I should have mentioned that it was the rear brakes. And thanks for the info on the universal tool. I kinda figured I had to rotate the piston back into the calipher. Thanks again!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No need for the special tool, a pair of needle pliers works just fine. The service manual even says to use them if tool is not available. Just make sure that after you turn them in that you have 2 notches vertical and 2 horizontal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts