Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

I'm looking at this car. This is one of two that I'm aware of that are for sale in Utah. I wanted to post some pictures and info and see what ya'll think.

First, here's the info:
98 Sentra SE
104380 miles
Sunroof, four disk brakes, 5-spd, new clutch, new brakes, sports rack, new tires, just got registered a week ago in utah, (I don't know if that is bad or not for me...), CD, cruise, foglights, ac blows cold, all electronics seem to work. Idles fine, shifts fine, (although clutch cable needs to be lubricated.) Motor sounds normal. Fluids look alright. I pulled the oil cap and that area looks good and clean, no carbon.

Problems:
It looks like the car rear-ended somebody (refer to pics) Hood dented and rusting in a part, headlight was pushed back.

The trunk has funny gaps on the side. They are wider than on my 97 sentra. Just curious if that is normal. (refer to pics)

Clearcoat is really thin or gone on most of the car.

Battery is corroded like crazy.

The guy is asking $4700 for it, high NADA blue book is $4350. (That is the bluebook that dealers and my bank use around here). He bought it in November for $4000. I imagine back then it was under 100000 miles, so for him it was a good deal. (The high book for the car under 100000 miles is $4800)

The pics:
The Back:


The Front:


Hood Rust:




Tire: Front Driver


Trunk Gap: Sorry this is hard to see in this res. I don't think it is much of a problem, because I couldn't see any evidence of a wreak or autobody repair and the carfax report says its clean.


The interior is in great condition. Carpet looks great as well as the floormats.

Let me know what you guys think about the buy in general and what you guys would offer the seller. (I don't think I'll take the 4700 at all, I'm thinking around 4k or less.

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Please Shift Here
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
it's hard to say b/c I bought my car at 40k and it's a year newer. I paid 6800. I can't tell you about the gaps, get a carfax report.

Sounds like the car wasn't maintained that great, going by the paint and the battery. You really can't tell by the sound of the engine or the shifting how well the car was maintained, I mean, if I drove like a granny, the engine and tranny would feel brand new whether or not I bothered to maintain it.

I think you could work down the price, I would start by inspecting common problem areas, such as the CV joints, exhaust condition, paint condition, etc. If you point out more problems, I think you can work the price down.

Here's the thing that gets me. The KBB says the car is worth 4300, he bought it recently for 4000 and he wants 4700 for it. It's not exactly a house, how does he expect the value to go up in price? The more owners that go on the car's history + the more miles, the more the car declines in value.

Inspect the car, get a carfax report and go back. Here's what I'd say to him:

$4700 is quite high for the car, the KBB says the car is worth $4300 and I wouldn't pay a dime more unless the car was in top condition. Also, I looked at carfax and I found that (depending on your findings) the car was in a previous accident. I noticed the trunk doesn't line up as well as it did on my last Sentra. Also, the paint isn't that great, the battery looks like hell, and also the CV boots are torn (very common problem, I bet that if you inspect the car you will find a torn CV boot or at least something else that you can point out to him). I'll offer you $4000 for the car.

You get the jist of it.
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
it's hard to say b/c I bought my car at 40k and it's a year newer. I paid 6800. I can't tell you about the gaps, get a carfax report.

Sounds like the car wasn't maintained that great, going by the paint and the battery. You really can't tell by the sound of the engine or the shifting how well the car was maintained, I mean, if I drove like a granny, the engine and tranny would feel brand new whether or not I bothered to maintain it.

I think you could work down the price, I would start by inspecting common problem areas, such as the CV joints, exhaust condition, paint condition, etc. If you point out more problems, I think you can work the price down.

Here's the thing that gets me. The KBB says the car is worth 4300, he bought it recently for 4000 and he wants 4700 for it. It's not exactly a house, how does he expect the value to go up in price? The more owners that go on the car's history + the more miles, the more the car declines in value.

Inspect the car, get a carfax report and go back. Here's what I'd say to him:

$4700 is quite high for the car, the KBB says the car is worth $4300 and I wouldn't pay a dime more unless the car was in top condition. Also, I looked at carfax and I found that (depending on your findings) the car was in a previous accident. I noticed the trunk doesn't line up as well as it did on my last Sentra. Also, the paint isn't that great, the battery looks like hell, and also the CV boots are torn (very common problem, I bet that if you inspect the car you will find a torn CV boot or at least something else that you can point out to him). I'll offer you $4000 for the car.

You get the jist of it.
Thanks for the great advice.

To add to the problem, I called him after I posted this. He says he is firm about 4500. He doesn't know this, but he left the receipt for what he bought it for in the glove box, and while looking for a service record, I found it. I haven't said anything yet. I think he will feel rooked if I ask for 4000 because he just registered the thing for $250 here in utah (or whatever it is), and serviced it. (Like a week ago.)

Another thing that HE suggested I do, is do some research on the same car and see what prices they are going for... which is funny, because I think it will work against him. I am also going to call some banks and see what they would loan out on the car... I'm betting that my bank isn't the only weird one that uses NADA Blue Book, and if they used Kelly's, I think they would come to the same conclusion as you.

Last question, how common are these cars? I've had a really hard time finding any at all. I've only found two, and I've searched all the classifieds I can think of, as well as the dealerships around here. I REALLY WANT THIS CAR.
 

·
Please Shift Here
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
It's hard to say. I can't see the pix very well, the res is too low and they're dark. I think it's a deal if you can get it cheap. It may seem to be the perfect car right now, but keep in mind, there are more if you look, you don't want to get stuck with something that isn't as good as it seems. I would widen your search, I'm in FL and I bought my SE-L from a guy in AZ.

If the car doesn't look like it was maintained very well, it could cost another 2k to fix it up, the paint looks kinda dull and if you think it may have been in an accident, there's a good chance it was.

If he's firm on the price just say to him, look, the car just isn't worth $4500, KBB says it's worth $4300 and I wouldn't say it's in very good shape.

Like I said, your next move should be a carfax report and a visual inspection. Inspect the engine bay, inspect the undercarrage, inspect the seats and inspect the bottom of the trunk. If you can see inside the trunk, there could be more evidence of body damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
just ask the guy if you can take it to your mechanic and have it looked at, and ask him why the car has gone up in price since he got it. if he wants $4500 firm ask him for the receipts for the work that he had done to it. if he bought it for 4k and wants to sell it for 4.5k he had ot have work done to it for the price to be justified.
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2nrguy said:
just ask the guy if you can take it to your mechanic and have it looked at, and ask him why the car has gone up in price since he got it. if he wants $4500 firm ask him for the receipts for the work that he had done to it. if he bought it for 4k and wants to sell it for 4.5k he had ot have work done to it for the price to be justified.
He has receipts. He just got it registered last week, and has the safety and emissions inspections. He didn't put in $4500, maybe $4300. I'm going to call some banks, and have them run a high book on it, and see what they come up with. I'm pretty sure $4350 is a safe expectation from the banks. I just hope he is open to that.

Meanwhile, I took the HS header and UR Pulley off my car, and I'm going to sell it to raise money. (The bank will only finance me 3150 for this car, even if he sells it at $4350.) If not this car, I'll get a different one, but the header and pully are going. :)

Okay, I carfaxed it. It looks clean. It has had atleast 3 owners, the first was a lease. There were no accidents reported.

I did look in the trunk when I was there, and it didn't look like there was any work done. One thing that I did notice is that there was no vin number on the rear bumper. My car has vin numbers everywhere, and on the bumper. (Any body with a 98 sentra?)

The interior looks really clean. Seats are clean, and hardly warn. The carpet looked good. (I didn't even bother taking pictures.)

The mechanic thing is a good idea, but it costs $75 dollars. I figure I can do my own compression test and vacuum check. I admit that there are a bunch of other things the mechanics check for.

Ninety-Nine: How did you get a car from AZ? Did you have it shipped or did you pick it up? Also, I can send you 6 meg pixel pics if you want. Let me know. I have about 10 of them. Much higher detail, and you can see things better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Check Edmunds First

I price all my vehicles according to edmunds.com their prices are more "real life" and stay true. Kelly Blue Book is based on California prices and don't seem to apply to anything up here by the great lakes.
BTW i was generous on my condition report calling this car "clean"

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/ni...id=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.Nissan*

If the link dosn't work goto edmunds and look it up w/ your area code. May be slightly different.
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
79kz400 said:
I price all my vehicles according to edmunds.com their prices are more "real life" and stay true. Kelly Blue Book is based on California prices and don't seem to apply to anything up here by the great lakes.
BTW i was generous on my condition report calling this car "clean"

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/ni...id=edmunds.u.options.utmv.vdpoption.1.Nissan*

If the link dosn't work goto edmunds and look it up w/ your area code. May be slightly different.
Thanks for the site. I'm checking it out right now.

BTW, I was just looking, and I found this car, (its on page two, about half way down):
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/i...ult_car_id=null&mis=IADABDMGDA312&car_id=null
I know this is the B14 forum, but I looked up the Vin and it says that it has a 2 liter SOHC engine. I thought that the 2 in the 2000 SE was an SR20DE, right? I'm gonna search, but incase you guys are faster than my hands, I figured I'd ask. This place by the way is where I origionally bought my 97 Sentra.
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2nrguy said:
id go for that one, less miles less $$ and newer
That one got sold the week before I got there. I found another though with 34000 miles on it. I test drove it and it rules. I will probably buy it tomorrow. Exact same as the other one. (Just way fewer miles.)

Just out of curiosity, has anybody heard any news on the JWT ECU for the newer sentras? Have they given up?
 

·
See Below
Joined
·
278 Posts
For a 98 it takes very few modifications to work with a earlier year ecu. JWT has directions on how to do it on their site. All you need is the a ECU.
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crud... sorry. I meant for the 2000+ models. Thats the one I'm looking at. Last I heard, they were still working on it, but that was months and months ago. (Maybe a year ago even...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
i have a 97 200sx se for sale for $2995. the car is in great shape and reliable. i need to sell it fast so i can buy a new car. i think that car your looking at is over priced
 

·
Slashie
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IES200SXSE said:
i have a 97 200sx se for sale for $2995. the car is in great shape and reliable. i need to sell it fast so i can buy a new car. i think that car your looking at is over priced
Thanks for the offer, but I already bought a 2000 SE Sentra. (It rules.) I already broke one of the springs in the shifter.... (DOH!). Maybe I should get a short shifter.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top