Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've sworn I've seen a post dealing with this problem. I have a '93 2-door XE Limited Edition and everytime it rains or I wash my car, I notice that there is water seeping through the right taillamp and trunk. I carefully looked over the moldings and found no problems. What's wrong???

http://playjlj.isfun.net

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is coming in around your tail lights. This is very common on the B13. Pull your tail lights out and put some silicone all aroung where they seal and put them back in and it will solve your problem.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
This happened on my '93 2dr XE. I bought a roll of butyl rubber at Advance Auto Parts for like $15. Problem with this stuff, which is what they used OEM, is that it's always sticky. If I could do mine again, I'd use silicone like Mike said. I'd use a putty knife to remove all the old butyl rubber, some thinner to get the plastic all clean and load the sealing edges up with 100% silicone and put them back in. Once it's dry it's no longer sticky, it's a lot cheaper than butyl rubber, and it'll probably outlast the car. Someday, there'll be a pile of rusty metal and sun rotted plastic and two nice rings of silicone, looking as good as the day it was put in. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also agree...I did have the same problem with my trunk...and whadaya know...the clear silicone did the trick!!! Now I just have to replace the "genuine, imitation, artificial, wood" cover that goes over my spare (ha, ha) tire!!! Anybody got an extra one???

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Now I just have to replace the "genuine, imitation, artificial, wood" cover that goes over my spare
No kidding that thing made of carboard at best. In my XE I just threw it away and bought a sheet of 1/4" masonite. Problem was, I didn't save the plastic tabs that keep the thing from sliding around under the carpet. So if you make a new one out of masonite, be sure to pop rivet those plastic tabs into it. I need to make a new one for my classic. Better yet, I'll just take the tabs off of the one in my classic, slide that one into the XE and then put the tabs on the masonite and put that into that classic. There's an idea, I'll do that tomorrow. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts